Rear Brake Conversion

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the Ford diff, I suggest something that can use the E350 rear disc rotor. It suits the hub and studs well.

As for the parking brake, you can get a manual hydraulic lock for the rear brake lines... or go with the full E350 setup.

http://www.fordmann.com/F350.rear_disc_brakes.htm

https://www.mico.com/products/brake-actuation/brake-locks/lever-lock

While the hydraulic line lock would be handy, it's not considered a emergency brake and would not pass the yearly inspections.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
emergency brakes need to be mechanical in nature.
if you blow a brake line, this line lock would do no good.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
While the hydraulic line lock would be handy, it's not considered a emergency brake and would not pass the yearly inspections.

This is true. But they hold better than factory drum-in-hat parking brakes. Towtruck operators often add them.

It all depends on your priorities and requirements....

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is true. But they hold better than factory drum-in-hat parking brakes. Towtruck operators often add them.

It all depends on your priorities and requirements....

I think it would be great as a add-on or assist to the factory parking brake. And I probably would use it in place of the parking brake after I used it for awhile and built up confidence in it. But I would still need the factory parking brake.

I guess you have observed utility companies and others with large trucks, each time they stop they put chock blocks at the tires. Must be a company policy and I bet they get written up if they don't do it. Looks like they do not trust anything to hold it in place.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you joined in 2010, yet this was your first post?!! congrats! lol

i would never drive anything, auto or manual with out an EMERGENCY brake. after having a proportiong valve blow apart leaving me with no brakes, i limped the 2 miles home using just the emergency brake.

You wouldn't like the '87-'97 F-Superduty/F450's then.All they have is a driveline brake which works great for a parking brake but does nothing but smoke and stink while just rolling.:D
There is no way to stop them,in the event of a hydraulic failure.Mine weighs 10k lbs empty.:eek:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You wouldn't like the '87-'97 F-Superduty/F450's then.All they have is a driveline brake which works great for a parking brake but does nothing but smoke and stink while just rolling.:D
There is no way to stop them,in the event of a hydraulic failure.Mine weighs 10k lbs empty.:eek:
Ya my buddy had a 94 F SD tow/ramp truck the driveline brake was great when we stopped loaded cars n such but one day for sheetzngigglze I tried to slow down w it......didnt phase the truck on bit....kinda like a theme song....rollin rollin rollin....raw hide....just would not stop it...empty btw.

Funny how engineers work...

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
So whats the verdict on that kit? I am needing to rebuild my rear brakes and would just the same go to disc. The drums have only given me issues. I dont tow anything really, unless I have to. I almost only use the truck to go to the dump and camping, not even a camper just a tent, cooler, and bags. The truck weighs about 5,700lbs with me in it.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
There might be more first-hand reviews of the Ruffstuff kit on pirate4x4...

coffeerich44

Reaction score
I’ve had the tsm rear disc kit on my truck for about 4 years now and love it. Works way better than the drum and the hydraulic e brake works great. I have never had a problem with getting an inspection either. My truck weighs about 8800 with my tools and I tow a 10k trailer. I also use the chock blocks though if I park on a steep grade.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker

Members online