Rear Axle Shackle Flip

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
I know this is an easy way to gain lift but I have heard that it hurts your stability with large loads and overall payload capacity. This makes sense to me because the spring is trying to compress the shackle and push it to the side instead of just pulling it up. Has anybody done this with their truck and can they confirm or deny? How big of a load have you hauled since the flip?

Thanks for any help in advance.

jam0o0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok there are a lot of differences here but i'll add what i know.

on my trail truck (95 bronco) i flipped the factory brackets and moved them down one set of holes. then made a slightly longer shackle. i also extended the wheel base at the same time and added an add-a-leaf. what i can tell you:

if you flip the shackle for lift and leave the front leaf mount in the same place the tire will not line up with the wheel opening very well.

flipping the factory bracket with the factory shackle gains you almost nothing. unless you move the bracket down or something.

i've heard a lot of people say that flipping the shackle softens the rear end. i changed so much at once i don't know what caused what.

also some people have collapsed their shackles when flipped. this is from smashing them on rocks. so maybe irrelevant. but a large towed load might do it.

dave186

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I did on a half ton i used to have was moved the whole bracket down and then built a crossmember to support it below the frame. Gives you lift and keeps the shackle right.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Looks pretty wimpy to me, ok for a daily driver but not for one with 2+ ton in the bed. The factory way is to pull down the shackle to carry the weight and it works good because the sides of the shackle don't see compression loads....This way I can see a heavy load flexing and destroying a shackle.....Just my observation, take it for what it's worth.:dunno

bigrandy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive got a shackle flip in the rear from ruff stuff specialties,and it has held up pretty well so far.I have hauled some moderately heavy loads and it hasnt given me any trouble so far.I tried the sky manufacturing kit first and it bent pretty badly and they wouldnt stand behind their junk.The guy who owns ruff stuff custom built mine for a six inch lift to eliminate my rear blocks for the same price as his normal kit.:thumbsup:He overbuilds all his stuff.

bignastystacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive got a shackle flip in the rear from ruff stuff specialties,and it has held up pretty well so far.I have hauled some moderately heavy loads and it hasnt given me any trouble so far.I tried the sky manufacturing kit first and it bent pretty badly and they wouldnt stand behind their junk.The guy who owns ruff stuff custom built mine for a six inch lift to eliminate my rear blocks for the same price as his normal kit.:thumbsup:He overbuilds all his stuff.

Do you have his contact info?

White Trash

IDI noob
Reaction score
Ruffstuff makes some awesome stuff. I'm running their 60/14 bolt swap kits with u bolts/plates and perches on my yota and it's extremely nice stuff and the prices are good too. If you ever need anything oddball just ask Dan and he'll hook you up. :D

David94IDIT

Reaction score
I bought the front and rear items from SKY. I used the front. When I tried to buy new bushings for the rear, the spring shop told me NOT to use it. They recommended a re-arc to get the lift. I still have all the rear hardware.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin