Rear axle: Open to locker swap 88-93

jrad235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rear axle: Open to limited slip swap 88-93

So I've got this junk truck sitting here with an '88 F250 10.25 3.55 Limited slip in it and I'm wondering if there are any issues
installing it in place of a '93 F350 10.25 3.55 Open axle.

I will be switching the hubs/brakes from the new to the old.

Then I need someone to tell me if I have to return the gear oil I bought for my open axle, or if i can use it in the locker.

Thanks!

Fordification.com lists the following info for the locker:

V127C Ford F250, F350 Pickup 87-96 3.55 10.25 L

(http://www.fordification.com/tech/rearends_ford17.htm)

Last edited:

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
Direct swap. No issues. If your gear oil is not old or contaminated then yes you can.

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
remember limited slip is not a locker, there is gear oil out there to help with the clutches in the limited slip differential but not really needed, as long as you have a GOOD gear oil brand in the axle,

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya you don't have a locker. You have a clutch posi. I have a Detroit locker in mine and it makes all kinds of racket. Everything from squeeling tires in turns to slam bang noises when it unlocks.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you part that truck, I need a 355 gearset.
If you dont have an antilock/speedo tone ring on the 88 I can machine the carrier for it.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know if the LSD is the same clutch design as the GM version in my Grand National, but if it is, I can tell you that what fluid/additive pack will make a difference in how "tight" it is. I put 70% synthetic gear lube and 30% Dino and it grabs really nicely for a street car.

Good luck whatever way you go

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hey, pm me the price on that barrier hose please, both sizes. got some inquirys
Thanks

jrad235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
remember limited slip is not a locker, there is gear oil out there to help with the clutches in the limited slip differential but not really needed, as long as you have a GOOD gear oil brand in the axle,

Heh, oh yeah, sorry about that. I was a little tired.

Thanks for the advice guys.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep the '93 axle and ring and pinion, swap just the carries. The '88 will have the short-spline yoke and pinion, those are known to work the yoke loose over time which can eventually wear the yoke splines. '92 and up trucks got redesigned pinion and yoke that have longer splines to combat that issue, most aftermarket gears nowadays also seem to be of this newer long-spline variety. On top of that the newer and older yokes do not interchange, they are pinion-specific, so if one of your driveshafts calls for a 1330 yoke (typically auto trans) while the other one runs 1350 yoke (typically stickshift) then you'll be doing conversion u-joints when you swap entire axles.

As for gear oil, the synthetic stuff can go in the axle as is, regular oil theoretically requires friction modifier but if you run without it the clutches will hold better (and if you overdose on the modifier then clutches get too slippery). If it's an old semi-worn limited-slip diff I'd skip the modifier additive and run her on just plain oil and see if she grabs too much, if she does then add a little modifier at a time.

jrad235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you part that truck, I need a 355 gearset.
If you dont have an antilock/speedo tone ring on the 88 I can machine the carrier for it.

tell you what, if you come over and help me swap the carrier, you can have the gears out of the '88. :D

That's good stuff LCAM, I just read the same thing on another site. If I can find a tutorial on swapping the carrier, I'll just do that.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's pretty easy, but there is something important you need to be aware of first - when all is said and done it's possible the contact pattern of the gears is no longer ideal (assuming it was ideal t begin with), personally I've never had that happen with a Sterling rear axles and I've had 3 carriers and 2 sets of gears in the same axle housing and it always came out near perfect, but still it's possible.

If you still wanna proceed, his is how I do it: first order of business after pulling diff cover and draining oil is to clean the gears, "paint" them, and check contact pattern, take plenty of pics of said contact pattern to have something to compare to when the new carrier is in. Then undo the eight 7/16" bolts (they take 5/8" socket) in the center of each rear hub and pull axle shafts out a few inches, wheels can remain bolted on and for that matter there is no need to even lift axle off the ground (that's the beauty of full-float axles). Back at the diff mark the carrier bearing caps as left and right and which way is up and down (they should not be mixed or flipped over) and undo the two big bolts on each and pull the caps, then carefully yank/pry the diff out the axle housing. On each side of the diff between the carrier bearing outer race and the axle housing there will be a thick shim, just like the bearing caps these cannot be mixed or flipped so pay attention which one goes where and how it sits. Once diff is out of the axle stand it on its end on a large piece of wood, then heat the ring gear evenly with a propane torch, then grab an impact wrench and remove the 12 bolts holding the ring gear, the gear may at this point simply fall off the carrier - if it's stuck you can add some more heat to it (no more than 200F tho, so don't go medieval with an oxy-acetylene blowtorch), then smack it with a dead-blow hammer and it will drop off. Do this with both axles, clean the oil out of the bolt holes in all carriers and gears, switch carriers, then reinstall the ring gears (heating the gears may be necessary again) - I like using Dana 70 ring gear bolt upon reassembly cause they are stronger and also have serrated heads with tiny teeth that grip into the carrier and prevent the bolts from backing out on their own, additionally I apply red Loctite to the threads of said bolts for extra insurance. Then it's time to reinstall the diffs back in the axles, I usually just put the driver-side preload shim in place, drop carrier in and slide it to the left as far as it will go, then carefully tap the passenger-side preload shim in place with a dead blow hammer (it can fracture if hit too hard with a steel hammer), and finally reinstall the bearing caps with loctite on their bolts. Note that it is very important that the ring gears and carrier bearing caps and carrier preload shims all stay with their respective axles, while the carrier bearing races stay with their respective carrier and thus migrate between axles - the idea is to keep the wear items (bearings, gears) as matched sets, and the gear pattern setup components (preload shims and bearing caps) are axle-specific to begin with. Finally check the gear contact pattern as best as you can and compare it to the pics of the initial setup, if it all comes out good then you slide axle shafts in and close axles and fill with oil.

Lemme know if you think you can handle this work so I can dig out the part # for the D70 bolts and also the torque specs for the different bolts so you don't snap something and end up with a mess on your hands.

jrad235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why is everything such a PITA? I will definitely pull the carrier out of the parts truck, but I don't know when it will get installed.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually it's not a PITA at all, it's mostly just paying attention which bearing cap and shim and race came from where. For example I scribe an arrow pointing up on each bearing cap and then put the left cap inside the left jackstand and the right cap inside the right jackstand, then I hang the preload shims on the release lever of the respective jackstand (left shim on left stand, right shim on right stand) so that when I look at them from the rear of truck the shims sit exactly as they did in the axle. Then as I'm pulling the diff I stick my index and middle fingers in the openings where the axle shafts went thru, this prevents the diff from sliding out of my hands (as it is still somewhat oily) but also keeps the bearing races onto their respective sides. Then when swapping the ring gears I make sure the bearing races are still on, actually resting the carrier on its passenger side bearing with the race in place makes it lots more stable. Practice with your parts truck and you'll see it's really no big deal, I can completely gut a full-float Sterling axle in junkyard conditions and without any power tools in under 15 minutes, and you won't even be touching the pinions on your axles. Plan on like a lazy Sunday afternoon if you're doing both trucks at once, if you have the parts truck stripped and don't plan on reassembling its axle then figure like an hour to two start to finish for the carrier swap into your '93. I only went into such details describing the procedure to save you time browsing the internets for it elsewhere.

jrad235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, that's fairly re-assuring. maybe I'll have time on Sunday to take the 88 apart. I appreciate the solid info.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why is everything such a PITA? I will definitely pull the carrier out of the parts truck, but I don't know when it will get installed.

If you can wait till after thanksgiving I will help you install it, I have shims and stuff.
We could do it sooner but I HAVE TO get to work on the dually, going to test run the used engine, but my spare starter is in aloha.LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online