rear axle maintenance gone wrong

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Ok, i wanted to service my rear axle just as i did on the front wheels on my truck 4x2(that is repack the wheel bearing) the ones on the front where easy but the back is a totally diferent story i did not find grease and the bearings use gear oil instead. I just got to remove one of the hubs on the rear wheel before i found out i cant put it back on place with out going any further, soo... any of you guys can tell me how to put this thingy back on its place please? I will need the truck later so i have to find how to put it all the way IN.

Thank you, Exekiel.

Attachments

• 081005b 001~1.jpg
    081005b 001~1.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 6

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
I used to put seals in my rollbacks on a regular basis. You should be able to push it back in with a little wiggling & turning at the same time. I would think it should be the same with your truck. Maybe the slpines arent lining up.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
well Thank you everyone, i did come back in while turning it slowly . At the same time i put new shoes on the rear brakes, i think one of the rear cylinders is leaking very little cause i could see some dust (asbestos?) build up inside not only on the drum but around the cylinder itself and it was wet a could say minimal but enough to let the dust build up.

Thank you, Exekiel.

EMD Diesel Power

Misguided Trident
Reaction score
Exekiel69 said:
well Thank you everyone, i did come back in while turning it slowly . At the same time i put new shoes on the rear brakes, i think one of the rear cylinders is leaking very little cause i could see some dust (asbestos?) build up inside not only on the drum but around the cylinder itself and it was wet a could say minimal but enough to let the dust build up.

Thank you, Exekiel.

Glad to hear it went back in for you. Its a simple thing, but it does freak out people doing it for the first time. LOL LOL Just a matter of lining up the splines and then the boltholes. Having the axle jacked to turn the wheel helps with the boltholes too. Most of the time it goes well.... sometimes its a PITA.

If the truck is high miles and no recent brake foundation (lines, cylinders, etc) work done... the cylinder may be weeping slightly.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
EMD Diesel Power said:
If the truck is high miles and no recent brake foundation (lines, cylinders, etc) work done... the cylinder may be weeping slightly.

Yes it is, i don't know for sure if that will affect the braking power, this truck never seem to stop so fast and I would not expect it don't think they make them like that. On the other hand I have an e350 and it does slow down faster much faster, i was wondering if it could be the vacuum pump :confused: . btw the e350 is a gasser and newer so that could help too.

Exekiel.

LandscapeMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exekiel69 said:
this truck never seem to stop so fast and I would not expect it don't think they make them like that.
Exekiel.

EZ, Having had the pleasure of riding in your truck. The brakes seemed up to par. I have had everthing replaced on my brakes and it still feels like the brakes are not all that great. I think it is the nature of the beast. I have had to make a few panic stops and it did stop in time. There is just a not so positive feel about the brakes. I have heard the same sentiment from others.

Charlie

Exekiel69

Reaction score
well yes it does stop but as you said not soo fast. Good it's a stick and i live on silver spring :angel:

Exekiel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online