Re doing fuel system

6.9power

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have air intrusion problems coming from who knows where. The returns lines and what not are all new so I know it isnt coming from there. Instead of tracking down wherever the leak is, I am just going to re do the fuel system. I have been wanting to anyway. I am going to have an electric fuel pump mounted under the truck. Then it will run where the stock fuel water seperator is now. Only im getting a kit from napa and replacing the factory one. Then back over to the filter and into ip. I have a few questions. First, what size are all of the lines? Are they all the same throughout? Should I use braided line or have napa make me up some line? Any tips? Thanks for any input

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Its 3/8 inch line everywhere and make sure its fuel rated. Only needs to handle 6 lbs of pressure... So most any hose will handle that.... Stainless braided is nice but way overkill..... What electric pump are you planning on using and don't push fuel thru the stock mechanical pump. The diaphram will fail and then the oil pan fills with fuel.... That kills the entire motor..... Bearings, cranks, cam.... Everything.... Its not pretty either....

6.9power

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A holley red. I can nab one on ebay for under 50 bucks. And I am blocking off the mechanical pump. That way I can run the lines straight into the water seperator, and then into the filter. That way I wont have lines running all aound the engine bay. It will be simple and effecient.

6.9power

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay well I looked a little harder, and I think I found my leak. The electrical connection on the bottom of the fsv has fuel on it. It looks like its leaking from the top of the thing. What should I do? Remove this and put on new lines? I dont know how those are connected up there and I cant see anything so I am gonna guess that this is the best route.

6.9power

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay quick question. The Ford dealership told me I need to replace the o rings at the connections. I removed one of the lines on the fsv, and there is no o ring on that one. What lines are they on?

Diesile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If yours is a oem setup the quick connectors that terminate the lines to the fsv have
o rings in them, or something like an o ring to make the seal when they are snapped
on. Maybe that is the item refered to.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have air intrusion problems coming from who knows where. The returns lines and what not are all new so I know it isnt coming from there. Instead of tracking down wherever the leak is, I am just going to re do the fuel system. I have been wanting to anyway. I am going to have an electric fuel pump mounted under the truck. Then it will run where the stock fuel water seperator is now. Only im getting a kit from napa and replacing the factory one. Then back over to the filter and into ip. I have a few questions. First, what size are all of the lines? Are they all the same throughout? Should I use braided line or have napa make me up some line? Any tips? Thanks for any input

Should you decide to replace the hose, make sure you go to something with a barrier style tube. Go to the closest ParkerStore (www.parker.com) and get some Superflex hose as this is the best inner tube you can use for just about any fuel:

http://www.safehose.com/ParkerProducts.asp?catID=226

6.9power

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay well the dealership is making this all confusing and difficult. They showed me a parts diagram now and said that they do not see any o rings on any of it. So I guess im gonna have to take them off and take them to napa or something and buy o rings of the same size. And are these rings on all the lines? Because I took one of the top ones off and didnt see one anywhere?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes