"Re-clocking" turbo

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read some of the past threads and it sounds like if i loosen the bolts on the back of the compressor housing I can clock my turbo just about wherever I want it to point to? It looks like there is 6 bolts and looks like it could only go in 6 positions? I'm sure this is a simple question but I've never had a turbo apart yet so I don't know. Doing this for intercooler installation

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
I'm no turbo pro by any means, but I'm pretty sure it's 6 bolts that attach 3 curved plates and secure the cold side housing. You should be able to clock the turbo in any direction that you need, 360 degrees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully that's the case! I've been putting off installing intercooler system because I wasn't sure how I was going to clock the turbo and connect the boots to it and the intake manifold, if it works 360 it shouldn't be anywhere near as hard as I thought now

shawn deere

So many wrenches, so little time...
Reaction score
I'm no turbo pro by any means, but I'm pretty sure it's 6 bolts that attach 3 curved plates and secure the cold side housing. You should be able to clock the turbo in any direction that you need, 360 degrees.

It is it is!
Them 6 bolts hold 3 clamps. The intake side has an o ring and you can rotate where ever you want!
Problem is that 6th bolt by intake snail.... try a chisle and hammer on the bolt shoulder to turn it instead of a wrench. I didnt mark mine when i had it off and had to re-clock when going back in. PITA. Had to line up bolts on pedestal and up pipe and intake snail at the same time.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may try to tackle the intercooler this Sunday on my day off, I have typ4's intake hat and I'm buying the parts to retro fit my current hat for intercooler instal in case I can't get his hat to work with what I want to do. Also have a grinder if things don't want to fit cause it looks like everything's going to be a very close. Where would I find this o ring that may come apart on me? Common part I could buy from auto parts store?

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
No, worse case you can glue it back together.

Typ4 has tons of them tho if it does break and you can't fix it

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oring is NOT common.
But it will run with out it, just loosen your hsg just enough to turn it, and they strip easily.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it going to leak bad if the o ring breaks? I'm assuming it probly will break it's never been apart since it was made I think. It's almost due for a rebuild anyway just saving funds now for it planning on a ww2 instal with the rebuild as well

shawn deere

So many wrenches, so little time...
Reaction score
Is it going to leak bad if the o ring breaks? I'm assuming it probly will break it's never been apart since it was made I think. It's almost due for a rebuild anyway just saving funds now for it planning on a ww2 instal with the rebuild as well
All yer friends are doin that;Poke lol

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
Put a WW2 in myself!

Also typ4 is right, they strip super easy!!!!

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The O-ring is on the intake side of things. Worst case, you'll get a very small amount of boost leaking past the tight tolerances of the housing.
I wouldn't worry about it at all.

If you can, though, see if you can get some dimensions; you might be able to find a 'generic' O-ring that will fit.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its not generic, I had to special order. It wont leak much without, but if it doesnt get out of the groove it will be fine.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna chance it and clock it hopefully I'll Be starting and finishing this project on Monday if I can source a 90 2-2.5 inch boot around town if not I'm gonna order one offline or create one with the extra boots from my intercooler kit for temp use lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online