Ran out of fuel on front tank with a little more than 1/8 tank

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will start by saying that my fuel gages have always seemed to read "high", as in both tanks seem to read way past full when the tanks are topped off. That being said, yesterday I was delivering a couch and my truck died on the front tank. It seemed like it was simply running out of fuel, I saw that the tach was still moving so I ruled out the CPS, so I switched tanks to the rear and cranked on it. I cranked for 15 seconds and checked the schrader valve, and it seemed to have pretty good fuel pressure. I cranked it again and just before I gave up (I'm not a big fan of leaning on a diesel starter too much) it started and ran fine.

Two questions:

I'm pretty familiar with the shower head situation on the IDI's, but I don't know anything about the OBS Powerstroke fuel pickups/sending units. Do the early PSDs have the same pickup hose dissolving issue as the IDIs? I've changed many floats, but I'm guessing this isn't a float as it's ready high, not low. The immediate/free fix would be for the operator to simply not run the tanks quite so low, but I can't always depend on that goober :rolleyes:

Secondly, I was a little surprised how much cranking it took to get the engine to light after I had confirmed fuel pressure at the filter. Is this just simply getting the air out of the injector lines? Just wondering, not really shocked, I just thought an electronically fired injector would have purged a little quicker but I've been wrong a lot lately.

Thanks

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Same shower head as the IDI's. Think you still have the mechanical lift pump in the 96's that run off the cam.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Bill, that explains everything. I am guessing I'm gonna have to drop the tanks as there's probably a bunch of pieces in both tanks, which would suck to suck up (no pun intended).

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Yeah. Now that I have everything hooked up right, I like the efuel.
And I like the way my truck is setup up. I can pull both senders without pulling the bed or anything like that. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Alwaysreadyrob

2002 7.3 POWERSTROKE 4x4
Reaction score
I put a e fuel pump on my 94 IDI and now it dies sometimes... ?
Should probably move it from under the hood huh and closer to tank ?
Its a 9-11 PSI pump

Alwaysreadyrob

2002 7.3 POWERSTROKE 4x4
Reaction score
Yes, im figuring that out as i go... gotta post on appropriate thread so the cyber cops dont mess with me lol.

Alwaysreadyrob

2002 7.3 POWERSTROKE 4x4
Reaction score
It was for my IDI, i have a 94 turbo IDI and a 2002 Powerstroke... IDI issue is fixed thanks, just turned up the idle screw some