Ram air question?

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
:confused: :confused: :confused:
I'm wonderding. Is "Ram Air" a brand, a trade name, or is it a brand name along with everybody's own homegrown version of "forced air induction"?
I see "Ram Air" in some folks sig. & then I see "forced air" or something in others.
I listed "Ram Air," in mine, but got to thinking I may be commiting fraud & have to leave town on the run....
My air thingie is a version of several other OB'ers & TDS, along with my own tweeking....
I couldn't sleep at all last few nights, watching out the window & down the drive, fretting over whether I'm an outlaw or not...
If "they're comming to get me" I want a head start!!!:D :D
Besides that, I saw what you guys did to that "poor little Ebay guy" over on that WARNING-EBAY FRAUD thread....("poor little thing just trying to make a living, feed his barefoot kids")LOL LOL LOL

BTW, what happened to the "sly" smilie anyway???

tuke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Uz might have somehing there LOL LOL. Just to be safe I changed mine I can't afford not being able to sleep at night knowing the man might be outside waiting for me :backoff LOL. Ed

pafixitman

Reaction score
Even though Generous Motors used the term to help market vehicles, I don't think it is registered to any one person or company. I did find this:

A ram-air intake is any air system in the intake which uses the air pressure created by vehicle motion to increase the air pressure inside of the intake manifold on an engine, thus allowing a greater volume of intake air, and hence engine power. A ram-air intake will also provide cooler air, as outside air rather than hot air from the engine compartment is used.

I think you should be able to sleep at night with out fear of big brother coming after you for saying your truck has a "ram air" intake.

jauguston

Retired
Reaction score
Those that are looking for a ram air effect to increase the air flow into their engine will be dissappointed to know there is less than 2psi pressure increase under ideal conditions at 200 mph.

Jim

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
Ram air has already been defined. Forced air would be a turbo or supercharger. Ram air only works at high speed, over 130mph or so, but it also gives you cooler air which helps make more/better power and some may be confusing ram air and cold air intake.

Doug

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Yeah ram air would be what them goat boys like to breathe.LOL
I ended up going for cold air induction but shortly went to Cram air after Goldies restoration........ Compliments of Banks.:D :D :D

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
Hey thanks guys, All of you! You have no idea how much you have helped me!!!! I was getting so worked up I was afraid to even take a nap....wet the bed, or something!!!:eek:
& you may have noticed I changed my sig. to cover all the bases!!!LOL
A ram-air intake is any air system in the intake which uses the air pressure created by vehicle motion to increase the air pressure inside of the intake manifold on an engine, thus allowing a greater volume of intake air, and hence engine power. A ram-air intake will also provide cooler air, as outside air rather than hot air from the engine compartment is used.
Joe, I got lost on "any air system", but I think this is a scientific way of saying "any super-ed-up way" to get'em to breath better. Right??:D
there is less than 2psi pressure increase under ideal conditions at 200 mph.
Yeah, actually I think that as these rigs are zipping down the road air dynamics creates an air turbulence "balloon" effect (whatever that's called, but like on a ship bow or airplane wing) that pushes out and keeps air from totally "raming" into the intake.
However, junebugs & butterflies seem to always make it thru & go "splat" on my headlites, grill, & rad.LOL

BTW again: Where's the "sly" smilie? I sure miss'm!
I'm not sly, but I've been told "the BS runs chin deep in my world...."

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You've got a great sig, but I need an interpreter to read it! LOL