Radiator Overflow tank cap...

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I need one! I used to keep these things on the shelf, but everyone around here (less the stealership which I haven't even contacted and prolly won't) no longer has them available. I figure someone on here has one or knows where I can get one. I went to a junk yard and every truck I found had it removed! Is there a black market for these things I don't know about? :) It is just the one that pops on, has the retainer ring made onto it. Mine is gone, have no idea where it went. Don't want to get a bunch of dirt in my overflow bottle, and I was sure this was a $5 part (or less), but maybe not!

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't feel like the lone stranger; the clutch reservoir cap on our old Cherokee was missing when we bought the thing.

It has had numerous plastic-baggies/rubber-band lids; not too pretty, but it has never lost a drop of fluid.

Funny thing is, I have actually bought and been given several caps that came right off of Jeep Cherokee clutch-fluid reservoirs and not one of them has been right.:dunno

I have a bucket that I have tossed about every lid off of any jug we ever threw away; sometimes, I am able to root around in my bucket of lids and find one that will fit whatever I may be needing at the time.

Maybe you can come up with a lid that will suffice until a better one comes along; if not, the baggie/rubber-band trick works pretty good.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Next time your in the bone yard look at the big Lincolns and Mercurys. Thats where I found several parts Ford no longer makes for our trucks.... Like the vacuum manifold up on the firewall that Banks broke when they installed my sidewinder turbo years ago. Rat ******** didn't have the nerve to tell me either. They also broke the return line cap but it didn't start leaking till I was 1200 miles from home and the valley pan filled with diesel on the I-40. What a mess that make...

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
Next time your in the bone yard look at the big Lincolns and Mercurys. Thats where I found several parts Ford no longer makes for our trucks.... Like the vacuum manifold up on the firewall that Banks broke when they installed my sidewinder turbo years ago. Rat ******** didn't have the nerve to tell me either. They also broke the return line cap but it didn't start leaking till I was 1200 miles from home and the valley pan filled with diesel on the I-40. What a mess that make...

did u raise hell with banks when that happened

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
No, Banks never knew their workers fudged up my truck. I was way too far down the road and fixed it myself. They lost me from ever letting them work on my truck ever again. Really nobody touches my truck because I have learned just about everything I need right here.... Kinda cool too. Ford dealers will NEVER get my truck in their bays ever again too. The 3 dealers around me are just a bunch of skunks and thiefs. We don't have nice dealers like Mel has. I really would pay whatever it costs to be able to trust a dealership like that. Mel has a trustworthy place to do business....:thumbsup:

7.3IDIDSL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When i bought my 93 it was also missing the radiator over flow cap. the PO had a spray bomb lid sitting over the opening on the tank. until one day i opened my hood to see no spray bomb cap on my tank anymore and a white film all over everything on the drivers side fender from the antifreeze sloshing out of the tank. i always figured the cap had fallen off onto the road. until i went to change my air filter and found it sitting inside the air cleaner housing.

i found a new overflow tank on ebay with a lid for 9.99. unfortunately it was different because it was for the gas motors....but the lid still fit so i ended up paying $9.99 plus shipping for a black lid...and a extra rad tank i cant use.

7.3IDIDSL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
haha have you seen the price of tabacco products. I cant afford them after that $9.99 lid.

at first i didnt know the rad tank wasnt the same as the one for my truck. It was listed for a 7.3 diesel so i bought it. then once i received it i noticed it was the same tank...but apparantly the overflow tank mounts differently in diesel vs. gas trucks due to differences in engine compartment. i could modify it to fit in my truck...but i dont really need it. i just need the lid haha

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
haha have you seen the price of tabacco products. I cant afford them after that $9.99 lid.

I just figured if you did chew, then you could use the un-needed jug as a :puke: spitoon,.............just throwing ideas out there........LOL

7.3IDIDSL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just figured if you did chew, then you could use the un-needed jug as a :puke: spitoon,.............just throwing ideas out there........LOL

or i could fill it with my favorite beverage and mount it in the engine compartment, so when im working on my truck i wont have to run to the beer fridge so much

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
here might be an alternative option expecially if you have your own custom intake and want the extra room behind the air filter
by the way thanks mel for the intake idea

Attachments

• 100_0002.jpg
    100_0002.jpg
    709.1 KB · Views: 11

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
here might be an alternative option expecially if you have your own custom intake and want the extra room behind the air filter
by the way thanks mel for the intake idea

Not to complain, but do you have a picture that isn't quite so blurry ???

That is a coolant recovery tank, right ??

Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online