Radiator mount question...

N.E fjord-by-fjord 2fiddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Researching today, i found a few different rad mounts. I know that the larger opening mount is diesel, but one site i saw said "not for Diesel with super cooling option"... Did they mean intercooler? I don't think my rad mount is any different than an NA 7.3's, but I do have a turbo and an intercooler, so I figured I'd check and see if anyone here knew the OEM part # I need. Thanks!

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
"Super cooling option" came with A/C and had a narrow/tall radiator. Those core supports aren't being reproduced. I find this odd as the majority of trucks ended up ordered with A/C.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Only 2 radiators were made for the idi. One was the generally felt most seen was the tall narrow rad. The other was the short wide rad. No idi ever came withan intercooler but they can be purchased in the after market from Hypermax and used to be able to buy from ATS.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That one won't work for you as is. If your lower hoop is salvageable, its not too hard to surgically remove it from your support and weld it into a new one. Ron I believe has a thread on that. @Dsl_Dog_Treat

If your hoop is bad, then you can either stretch the new one or fab one all together. It's only real purpose in life is to protect the bottom of the radiator, hold the core support together and rot out apparently. That's what they seem to do best. Just have to measure your original support to make sure you get the pin locations back in pretty close. Otherwise, that bottom section really doesn't care what it looks like.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is a gas core support no matter what it claims to be. Our radiators are 31 inches tall. That core support is only 24 inches tall.....

Also, a power stroke and idi OBS core support are, from all I can tell, nearly identical. 94.5 strokes used the same radiator as the idi.

N.E fjord-by-fjord 2fiddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is a gas core support no matter what it claims to be. Our radiators are 31 inches tall. That core support is only 24 inches tall.....

Also, a power stroke and idi OBS core support are, from all I can tell, nearly identical. 94.5 strokes used the same radiator as the idi.

Ok.... So you're saying a mount from a PS will work? Up til 96?

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't done it personally, but that is my understanding. It wouldn't surprise me if a few mounting holes were different, for horns or other things that bolt in.

I know someone here is running a power stroke radiator on a brick nose truck.....so the radiator should mount the same.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If that core support is twisted, it can be challenging to straighten. If you look early in my build thread, I straightened the one that is going in my truck. Much cutting and welding and beating. If it were me, and yours is trashed, I'd pick up a cheap gasser support and mod it. It will at least give you clean mounting locations etc. Then seal it all up good with epoxy primer or POR or something similar so it lasts a while.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online