R&D Injector Durability Test Results

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Thewespaul
You’re able to adjust the pressures? I just assumed they were a set value and the differences in code determined the value and the application. I appreciate all your informative posts.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are these shims inside the injector to adjust the pressures, you add to increase the preload on the spring which increases the amount of force needed to unseat the pintle, which gives you a higher pop pressure.

Glad I could be of some help ;Sweet

You must be registered for see images attach

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
.yet. I remember years ago when Japanese = crapanese. Things have changed. Japanese stuff is top quality now.
Japanese? What's that these days? I giggle like a school girl and do a little happy dance when I find something that says Made In Mexico These days. FINALLY! I found something that's NOT made in China!

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you use a fuel lubricant supplement the life of the injectors? And you mentioned they had been through a couple truck in their life maybe the couple hanging up got something in the end just by changing them out? Nozzle tip Is a pretty small hole it would take much to get a piece of metal shaving from a line in there or a old paint flake particle off the line or something? Mine have been good for 40k now I could set a full beer on my running engine and it didn't fall over lol not arguementitive just ideas he seems to have a reasonable quality product I mean it could be worse. I think he maybe getting more business than his small shop can handle these days potentially hopefully quality doesn't start dropping from having to up quantanty

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I run a fuel additive in every tank, either stanadyne performance additive or hotshot's diesel extreme which ive been trying out lately. Its completely possible for contamination to happen when they were changed, but it would have shown the issue immediately when I first started it, and this was just and occasional fuel knock that progressively got worse so I think its pretty much just wear since I have about 10k miles on these injectors since I put them in this engine. Truck runs just as smooth now, no shaking or rough idle

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Keep in mind the diesel extreme isn't a EDT. It's a every 6 months type of formula.
They do have a EDT though.
Supposedly opti-lube now has the most lubricity.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True, but I'm still on my first bottle. It did make the biggest difference out of any additive I have yet to run.

gerlbaum

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are these shims inside the injector to adjust the pressures, you add to increase the preload on the spring which increases the amount of force needed to unseat the pintle, which gives you a higher pop pressure.

Glad I could be of some help ;Sweet

Anyone ever find a source for shims (besides old injectors)?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I cant get delphi, but the latest production ones were crap.
Stanadynes after 20k werent pretty.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I cant get delphi, but the latest production ones were crap.
Stanadynes after 20k werent pretty.
I was told the B.B. codes were the same way when they were new, it’s a shame production has dried up so much especially with how many trucks are still on the road

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just for reference, I’m changing out a set of E code injectors on a 94 Truck right now, they date to 1999 nozzles and have 123k miles on them, here’s what they look like:

Pressures throughout the set are within 400 psi variance

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
True, but I'm still on my first bottle. It did make the biggest difference out of any additive I have yet to run.
Yeah, it's pretty strong.
I would be curious to see if it adds any lubrication at all. Does work though, that's for sure. Lol

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it's pretty strong.
I would be curious to see if it adds any lubrication at all. Does work though, that's for sure. Lol

From the back of the bottle: “...diesel extreme contains a top tier level of cetane booster, lubricity additive, and fuel stabilizer...”