Quick valve umbrella seal question

Koch13351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm helping my buddy out with assembling his 6.9 for his diesel swap into his '90 F-350. We are on the heads now, and installing the new valve stem seals. The problem we are running into is that half of the umbrella seals are not staying put in the spring retainers once we decompress the spring. My question is: is this a problem, or is it acceptable? Must the umbrellas stay put in he retainer? I'm just seeing that if they want to pop out now, then they'll likely pop out either way once the engine is running. I've done my fair share of searching for the answer the past hour or so, but can only find the fact that they are supposed to snap into the retainer. They did, but then ended up down on the stem. Thanks in advance!
You must be registered for see images attach

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those type seals are more of a shield rather than a positive type seal. They will ride up and down, they mainly deflect the oil that runs down the stem. They do make positive type seals, but the casting on the head must be machined to give them a spot to "click in" and snap in place to hold them.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this helps any, but here is the sheet than came with the OEM 7.3 valve seals that came in the gasket set I bought.

It shows the plastic shield for the exhaust valve right up under the retainer - don;t know if that is where is stays when the valve is operation.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is something else from the 1993 manual. Looks like that umbrella seal should be locked to the retainer. Otherwise it will burn oil according to this section. This is for the 7.3 though - maybe the 6.9 is different:dunno

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aftermarket seals don't fit like the factory ones, they ride the valve, all will be OK.

Koch13351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@tbrumm thank you for those pictures! According to the mic, it appears the ID of the umbrella seal is .009" too small for the valve stem. It's close enough to get on the stem while it's installed in the retainer, but takes some force. Once the spring compressor comes off, the umbrella stays in place on the stem as the retainer comes up to lock the keepers in. This is from a Victor Reinz gasket set. Going to order some Felpro umbrellas and see if their tolerances are closer.

Koch13351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aftermarket seals don't fit like the factory ones, they ride the valve, all will be OK.

Ok so you're saying that there should be no problem with them lower on the stem than they're supposed to be? I personally didn't see it as an issue since by design it will still be doing its job of deflecting oil from running down the stem, but my buddy likes to make sure everything is done by the book when he is doing engines. Also, the kit included 16 umbrellas, but from my understanding they aren't needed on the intake valves since they have positive seals, right?

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Koch13351-thanks for asking this question. I probably would be asking this same question down the road when I have the heads on my truck out and in to the shop.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Koch13351-thanks for asking this question. I probably would be asking this same question down the road when I have the heads on my truck out and in to the shop. I am glad a few of the resident gurus weighed in with their wealth of experience!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726