Quick turbo question

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Does anybody know for sure what a 6.9/7.3 IDI requires cfm-wise at the factory redline of 3300rpm's? I would think that 1100 cfm would be more than our engines could handle. You could always add an external wastegate to get it spooled up faster, and it will let you not overboost your engine. If I were you though, I would find a smaller turbo to help spool up that thing.

payableondeath6

Impressively Ugly
Reaction score
That's a big turbo. How do you think you would even mount it?
Probably just make a bracket out of steel to bolt it on to the passenger side frame rail right after the Y joins together...but I'm new to turbos, not even sure how most mount them.

i think a hood scoop would be cool:D ;Really

i cant help much with numbers but am extreemly interested to see where this goes.
Underhood setup would be sweet, but then I either have to run two pipes up through the engine bay from the manifolds or I have to custom make some manifolds...I think just doing a remote mount would be easier. Still figuring stuff out though, my thought process may just be that hooking it up and being out a very small amount of money (buying bends, pipe, oil pump/fittings, and turbos I'd be out less than $500 for sure doing my own welding) on taking the chance for some boost.

Does anybody know for sure what a 6.9/7.3 IDI requires cfm-wise at the factory redline of 3300rpm's? I would think that 1100 cfm would be more than our engines could handle. You could always add an external wastegate to get it spooled up faster, and it will let you not overboost your engine. If I were you though, I would find a smaller turbo to help spool up that thing.
I was definitely thinking about an external wastegate to keep things from overboosting should I spool her up, still have to do a little more research on it though. I may list the one turbo on CL or ebay and see if I can sell it for enough for a little Civic or Eclipse turbo or just trade for one...just really didn't want to have to deal with oiling and plumbing two turbos, oh well maybe I'll wait a little longer for Flatlander's pictures and see how I like that setup :D

rubberfish

Reaction score
I may list the one turbo on CL or ebay and see if I can sell it for enough for a little Civic or Eclipse turbo or just trade for one...
Or one off of a Cummins or something may be better.
There is more that a ton of used ones available.
Spooling it wouldn't be as much of an issue. Personally,
I don't think you stand a chance of getting that big
**** to spool. And if you did, are you ready for
60-80 lbs of boost? And waste gating a turbo that
size to 15lbs is only a bit of a waste.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, obviously if you could get it to spool up, you'd get much lower boost than whatever they give the big Cummins motors. I bet you wouldn't even need the external wastegate, I doubt you could get it to spool 15psi even at WOT. Remember that a non gated turbo is sized so that you run of of revvs and fuel before you blow the lids off the motor, with an oversized turbo, I would think(don't know though) that you would run out of both or one before you even got the boost you want, let alone too much.

jauguston

Retired
Reaction score
To clarify, the guy with the 5.9 that is getting 120psi boost I used the term "compound" That is when you run the exhaust side of one turbo into the inlet side of second turbo. Same on the intake side.

The guy has spent thousands of dollars on mods to the engine. The head has been O-ringed around the combustion chamber to help seal the head gasket. The shop set the pump up so radical they were afraid it was going to explode their test stand. He has some kind of a switch control on the pump so he can tame it down for the street. He pulls it on weekends. He also breaks it fairly often (-;

Jim

payableondeath6

Impressively Ugly
Reaction score
Checkout Junkyard turbos
There are some interesting discussions on remote mount turbo systems on their forums.

---------Robert
Been there multiple times looking at remote setups before when I was looking into one on my F150, like I said I know a couple guys on the net with them on F150's too. I may stop in there and see if they know anything about these turbos I've got...worth a shot.

Well, obviously if you could get it to spool up, you'd get much lower boost than whatever they give the big Cummins motors. I bet you wouldn't even need the external wastegate, I doubt you could get it to spool 15psi even at WOT. Remember that a non gated turbo is sized so that you run of of revvs and fuel before you blow the lids off the motor, with an oversized turbo, I would think(don't know though) that you would run out of both or one before you even got the boost you want, let alone too much.
That was what I was thinking, my guess was that a non-wastegated turbo worked by being oversized so you wouldn't be able to reach more boost than you could handle...so my thinking was if I could get it to spool even 5-6 lbs without lagging forever this project would be worth it ;Sweet

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
If you ever get them to spool in a remote mount application, an external WG, and a controller would keep it boosting where you want it.
It'll prolly take 2500 RPM's jsut to get it to spool. Then, it'd prolly come so fast/high that the waste gate would have to open, and keep it around 12 PSI max. Keeping the turbo from ever reaching it's sweet spot (prolly in the 30 PSI range). Sounds very ineffcient?

For what it's worth. The Turbo that Banks uses is a Mitsubishi TE06. The same turbo is used on the 4 cylinder Mitsubishi Eclipse. I'd say that the Cummins turbo is waay out of range for our engines.

payableondeath6

Impressively Ugly
Reaction score
Got this little piece of information off FTE, can anyone confirm or deny it?

Dave Sponaugle said:
A 290 HP Cummins big truck engine is 10 liter displacement with an RPM ceiling of 2100 RPM.

And that turbo on 290 engine would produce about 30 PSI boost.

To keep the head gaskets in a 7.3 at 30 PSI boost you are looking at internal engine mods.

7.3 = 444/2*3300/1728 = 423.9 CFM

10 = 608/2*2100/1728 = 396.4 CFM

Because of the higher RPM level, the 7.3 uses more air per minute than the larger Cummins motor does.

The boost potential of the turbo would be more than your engine could stand without being able to limit the boost.
If that's the case then I could spool it, I would just have to wastegate the extra 20 psi of boost or so to keep me around 10 psi ;Sweet

Like I said, anyone confirm or deny?

payableondeath6

Impressively Ugly
Reaction score
Well I'm going to give it a test go to see if I can spool the turbo up. I've got a friend that's going to weld up a test pipe so I can bolt the turbo up to the exhaust like this:
You must be registered for see images

Then I'll support the turbo on a wood block or something, pour some oil in it to make sure it's lubed and give it a couple revs to see what kind of air it spits out...guess then I can compare that to running the truck with the intake housing off for a minute to see what kind of suction that provides. Hoping to have the adaptor to me by this weekend, then I'll be busy all weekend so maybe I'll be able to give it a shot next week.

Cowboy_Customs

Rhinestone Cowboy
Reaction score
FWIW, U should rebuild it and take it to a cummins site like dieseltruckresource.com or cumminsforum.com and sell it for 400 bucks. The HT3B is a second turbo in a compound setup. Even the highest HP cummins 5.9's cant spin it up. Its made for a huge inch semi engine. Good find, but, it'll never work. sorry!

I plan on trying to use one of my turbo's from my 1st gen to adapt to my IDI. I plan on calling banks, ATS and the others to get the specs on there IDI turbo's. I dont remember how well my buds banks kit spooled but im thinkin my Cummins will light nicely on an IDI.

payableondeath6

Impressively Ugly
Reaction score
FWIW, U should rebuild it and take it to a cummins site like dieseltruckresource.com or cumminsforum.com and sell it for 400 bucks. The HT3B is a second turbo in a compound setup. Even the highest HP cummins 5.9's cant spin it up. Its made for a huge inch semi engine. Good find, but, it'll never work. sorry!

Out of curiousity, why do you say it'll never spin up? If I look at the intake CFM numbers for both engines they're very close. So I'd think that the exhaust numbers are pretty close too, and if the exhaust CFM's are close then I should be able to spool it, but maybe I'm wrong and the exhaust volumes/time are different.

A compound turbo setup isn't always because you can't spool the larger on independently but just to eliminate any lag that you would have with a single large turbo, personally with the cost savings and having a manual transmission I can deal with a certain amount of lag...but maybe I'm missing something that you know, so that's why I ask :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online