Quick help- Oil EVERYWHERE!!!!

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, it seems you may have been correct Mel. I powerwashed everything first thing this morning at work, and still cant tell for sure what was/is leaking. I drove it a little bit, but theres nothing definite yet. I've ordered some 1" hose for the time being, and will ditch the catch can and just run a straight RDT. FWIW, that doesn't seem to smoke very much, so I can live with it while I correct the sealing issues.

Still frustrated,
Ryan

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I burned 3 gallons of kerosene in the Hotsy powerwashing everything this afternoon, and got it all cleaned up. I installed a 1" RDT hose with no catchcan, and took it for a ride.

Same route as yesterday, although I wasn't trying to bury the speedo. No leakage from the front crank seal, but I seem to have some oil running down over the starter area. Perhaps the valley pan is just draining all the oil from yesterday?

I wasn't in the boost much at all, so maybe that was what caused the leakage yesterday? I have a pretty steady, heavy stream of smoke from the RDT when the engine is hot- normal or not?

Ryan

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very normal. You'll have to monitor that rear oil leak to see if it is indeed valley pan drain off or not. That drain back there has a tendancy to clog, and can prolong the time it takes for the drain off to occur.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally. Some peace of mind. Thanks, Mel! I'll see how it treats me today- My new Serpentine belt should arrive at work to take care of the squealing caused by the oil-soaked old one...

Pics to come this afternoon of the IC piping...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yea sure Towcat...... Actually I'm doing fine at the moment. Thanks for the talk a few nights ago about towing my truck home. I got it done for $175.00. The block is at the shop. The crank is fine and the pistons are scuffed ever so slightly on the lower edge about 1/2 by 1/4 wide. Not bad at all. Its just the new heads that I ported are cracked and junk now. But even thats fine because I have 4 other heads and they all measure 4.800 so they have not been milled. One set has valve guide inserts in it and feels like they were just done before I bought the spare motor they came off of. If I need a set of pistons Diesel Direct will sell me a set of 1441800WR std for $550.00..... I paid $1100.00 for the same set at the shop I'm dealing with....:mad:

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I owe Mel a big :hail :hail :hail

It seems that the catch can was a bad idea. I installed the big 'ol 1" RDT tube, and haven't had 'er drip a drop since. I had to wash out the valley pan (Don't worry- I was very very careful!) to get the drain to quit dripping down the starter side of the block, but otherwise it seems fine.

I'll put some miles on the truck over the holiday weekend, and know for sure if the problem is fixed.

I'm off to work on trying to get some pics of the IC piping.

Ryan