Question

sandrow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how many miles does the average 7.3 idi go before rebuilding is needed 350,000
400,000 I have heard them called the " half a million mile motor" for years now. IS THAT ACCURATE???:dunno

DragRag

Reaction score
I have had one crack 400k miles, it was done at that point. I could have asked a little more of it, but not much. Many have done 350k for me. I think 500k is possible, but it would have need to have been babied for sure. Your not going to flog it, and expect to get that kind of mileage. I have changed out more then with with only 200k miles to, so your experience may vary.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
It really depends alot on the maintenance history of the truck. If the owners throughout the years have kept up on the oil and coolant changes, and maintained the SCA levels your going to be in better shape than getting some abused fleet truck that only got oil added to them when they needed it, never a "whole case of new oil and a filter too..."

The trucking outfit I worked at had two IDI F-250 service trucks that ran pretty well with over 250k on the clock and NEVER got any oil changes or SCA treatments. BUT they were very much worn out...

We've got a 2005 Toyota Tundra pickup here at the shop that was bought brand new then sent to Texas to be a service truck. It's got a little over 100k miles on it now and we've got no reciepts for it ever getting an oil change... The only thing we've got reciepts on are tires. Last weekend I changed the oil and I got about 3 quarts of black tar out of the thing. It took over 5 quarts to fill it back up. Funny thing is that we PAY for oil changes on the company vehicles. All the field tech had to do was take it to a service station and have it done. Some people's kids. -cuss

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
My retired 7.3 has 377k on it. (retired do to body rot)

Engine still starts, runs like a dream!

I don't see why these wouldn't make it to 1 million miles with a strict maintenance schedule.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine has half a million on his 6.0, if that thing could do it, ours can go further.