Question for upcoming 6.9 build

Project_6ix9ine

Reaction score
So I am i just picked up a 1986 f350 4x4 with a t19 and a 6.9 from my grandpa for $650. My plan is to make this ol truck into an eye catcher but would also like to try and get 450-550hp out of the 6.9 as well. I know that's a lot of power for a 6.9 and i've done a ton of research on the idi engine over the years. But I have a couple questions. So I'll list them below.
Will I have to bore it to reach my goal?
-Is shaving the pistons to reduce compression better than getting a custom ground cam to do so?

-What compression ratio would allow the most boost while still allowing the engine to start without ether?

-is there a place that builds custom injectors or should I have Goff diesel build them?

-where sells performance rods or should I buy factor turbo idi rods and wrist pins?

- where do i find strengthened valves?

-where do I find bigger injector lines?

-would a 3:55 gear ratio in the axles let me do 80mph under 2k rpm with a t19?

-Can I relocate the vacuum pump to a better location pretty easily?

I'm sure I have more questions but there's the ones I can think of. This will be a slick idi when done!!!

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You will not get that power from a 6.9, maybe someday but the parts aren’t made yet. Even with turbo rods you are still limited to 20-25 psi with head studs.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Head studs are the limiting factor for a 6.9. You need 1/2" ARP head studs to get anywhere close to that. This requires modifying the block(drilling and tapping) and I don't know if anyone has actually done this.
I plan to try, when I get time and space/

Then, you've got rods. You'd probably want to to go with 7.3 PSD rods modified to fit.

See http://idiperformance.com for some of those parts and cost.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
550hp from an a 30 year old idi engine? LOL. You won’t even get that much power from a new 60k diesel truck right off the dealership floor. All your questions are pretty much no lol.
2k rpm from a t19 with 3:55 gears at 80mph? You’ll be well over 3k rpm with that combo.
Looks like you need to do some serious research before you start any of this, because your ideas aren’t very realistic for your truck in mind.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
If you were to try to use the Factory Turbo rods, then you couldn't use 6.9 pistons. Since you'd have to bore your block out enough to use 7.3 pistons, you'd be better off to use a 7.3 block in the first place.

Project_6ix9ine

Reaction score
Head studs are the limiting factor for a 6.9. You need 1/2" ARP head studs to get anywhere close to that. This requires modifying the block(drilling and tapping) and I don't know if anyone has actually done this.
I plan to try, when I get time and space/

Then, you've got rods. You'd probably want to to go with 7.3 PSD rods modified to fit.

See http://idiperformance.com for some of those parts and cost.

Will a 7.3 block accept 1/2" studs??

Project_6ix9ine

Reaction score
550hp from an a 30 year old idi engine? LOL. You won’t even get that much power from a new 60k diesel truck right off the dealership floor. All your questions are pretty much no lol.
2k rpm from a t19 with 3:55 gears at 80mph? You’ll be well over 3k rpm with that combo.
Looks like you need to do some serious research before you start any of this, because your ideas aren’t very realistic for your truck in mind.

I saw somewhere that a zf6 from a 6.0 has the same bolt pattern as an idi... has anyone tried that swap?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger