question for the turbo experts

ksingltn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a parts truck back in march of '12 to get the used wastegated banks sidewinder kit with it. The kit is complete with all the parts minus the crossover pipe and the exhaust. The only problem was the guy dropped the turbo and broke the wastegate actuator arm off.

Is this fixable? Or am I looking at a new housing? I seriously considered fabbing my own arm up and having it tig welded on, I know where a turbo is I could measure off of to get the arm the right shape and size. The turbo appears to be otherwise in good shape, with no obvious shaft play or drag.

Also, anyone know of a source for the crossover pipe?

Pics (disregard the curious dog nose...)
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The pipe should be available from banks. It is a two piece design. Part numbers 52030 and 52031.

Here is a link to the owners and installation manual.

http://assets.bankspower.com/manuals/405/96310-v3-web.pdf

As for the waste gate....I don't know. I bet if you call banks, they will want you to send it in and give them a bunch of money.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I believe any good turbo rebuild shop can replace that for you. Funny how it snapped off clean like that. There is a plug on the other side of that gate that comes off you reach the wastegate. You might contact Russ aka typ4 and ask him about it. He does great turbo upgrades and rebuilds. The Banks turbos are not his favorites but he does know his stuff.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Make your own arm, you will play hell finding that part.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shouldn't be hard to make an arm. The shaft is stainless or possibly something like an inconel though - I'd think you should be ok just stainless for the arm and tig welding it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Shouldn't be hard to make an arm. The shaft is stainless or possibly something like an inconel though - I'd think you should be ok just stainless for the arm and tig welding it.

I would agree with this but make sure you use a 300 series stainless steel. 312 or 316 is very simple to weld. Inconel is a little harder to weld but it can be done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigal093

Members online