PUMP PROBLEMS

bubba_89

Reaction score
ok so replaced the pump in my truck three days ago. all lines marks and everything are lined up and good to go. my problem is that ive went thur my batteries trying to get this thing to start. it just cranks and coughs a lot and will act like it wants to fire up but no luck. ANY IDEAS ON WHATS GOING ON GUYS? lines are bled out and everything.. :mad::eek:

89dieselbko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my pump just went, and in my thread the *MUCH* smarter then me people said my pump could have jumped time. if its to far out of time its not popping the injectors at the right time for combustion. If your pump is rebuilt the static timing marks aren't completely accurate. the pump will be calibrated different, and the factory mark will be wrong.

I was reading in a thread, that i cant find again since i need to quote it... but someone else had this issue, and had to remove pump and advance it one tooth to get it to run, then fine tune the timing after that.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
An injection pump can't "jump timing". They are gear driven and the pump is only able to bolt to the injection pump gear one way. Its impossible to mess that up... Now you have not told us just how you replaced the pump. There is only one CORRECT WAY to install or replace an injection pump. That way is to never remove the aluminum gear cover from the block. If you removed the pump with the aluminum gear cover attached it also pulls the drive gear with it. That creates a gear timing problem. There is plenty of reading on how to fix this gear timing issue if that what you did. So untill we know how you changed the pump some of us can't really help get you engine running. BTW those pump to gear cover marks mean nothing as to the timing but.. You might move the pump towards the passenger fender to advance it some. A 1/16 inch move equals about 3 degrees.

bubba_89

Reaction score
the way i removed it was i left the cover on it and just removed the three botls on the front and three on the rear. reinstall was i lined the dowl pin up and put all bolts in and line the new marks on top up that USDIESELPARTS had marked on top of the pump. put the lines on and bled the whole system. after that hoped and prayed for the best but no luck there at all.. drained both batteries.. so i advanced it just by 2/16th of an inch and it started but was loping like it had a big cam in it. so i turned it back just a little and it wouldnt start and its bout not even 1/16th off rite now. and also will me having a banks system affect the pump any at all. and will i hafta turn the pump up any at all..

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
Have you loosened the injector lines to make sure you've got fuel at the injectors?

When ever I swap a pump I always crank on it first with all the nuts loose at the injectors to purge the air out of the lines.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well... From your last post I feel your pump is way retarded. I feel this because you posted that you advanced the pump 2 1/6.. So 1/8th was not enough. Then you set it back about 1/16 and it wont start. That there tells you the pump needs to be advanced more. If the pump is tuff to move advanced just loosen the hard lines at the pump. Usually only the top 4 are easily reached but thats about all you need. Advance it. Tighten the lines and try to start with a fresh battery charge. Trying to start a idi with low or dead batteries will burn up the starter plus... The slower the engine turns over the less heat is made from the piston compressing the air charge. You need 942 degrees for the diesel to ignite. The slower the engine turns the less heat is made...

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well... From your last post I feel your pump is way retarded. I feel this because you posted that you advanced the pump 2 1/6.. So 1/8th was not enough. Then you set it back about 1/16 and it wont start. That there tells you the pump needs to be advanced more. If the pump is tuff to move advanced just loosen the hard lines at the pump. Usually only the top 4 are easily reached but thats about all you need. Advance it. Tighten the lines and try to start with a fresh battery charge. Trying to start a idi with low or dead batteries will burn up the starter plus... The slower the engine turns over the less heat is made from the piston compressing the air charge. You need 942 degrees for the diesel to ignite. The slower the engine turns the less heat is made...

Be sure that engine is turning over as fast as a gasser.

When you said that you bled the system, are you getting fuel at each injector cap?

Are the glow plugs working?

bubba_89

Reaction score
yes the injectors are all getting fuel and a steady flow i must say..lol and also the glow plugs are brand new.. and to fixitall im going to charge everything up and try it tomorrow. im just gonna play with the timing till i find the sweet spot.

bubba_89

Reaction score
also something i just noticed it has two timing marks on the top. one looks orginial and the other well its half A@# on there looks like someone just marked it real quick with a chisel of some sort. may hafta try that mark..

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The old timing marks on the IP and gear housing mean nothing, Take a center punch and mark it on the mounting line, that's a referrence point, move the IP either way you have to, too make it run. Until you get it running, tighten the IP top nut only, that's sufficient to hold it.