Pulls to the left

Willie Two

Retired Firefighter
Reaction score
After spending $1800.00 rebuilding the front end and brakes on my truck I have a slight constant pull to the left. The 25 year veteran of Ford front ends who did the work wants to install adjustable " sockets " on my upper ball joints to correct this problem, another 2-3 hundred bucks. He says the camber is out and it is a long outstanding problem with the twin I beam suspensions and there is no factory adjustment so the aftermarket kit is needed. What ya all say ????

THANKS to all who reply.

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought they came with adjustable upper ball joints unless you have a 2 wheel drive. If you just did brakes, I would check to see if you have a caliper hanging up. Even if its new I still would consider that for a problem.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
I had that problem right after I did my front brakes, the new caliper/pads was rubbing a hair on the new rotor, 300 miles later and a few hard stops it was gone

I could hear a slight rub/squeak when rolling veeeeery slowly, can you?

Willie Two

Retired Firefighter
Reaction score
I am pretty sure it is not a caliper issue and it is 2 WD. Re reading my first post I should have said : I've had the problem for over a year, thinking that by replacing all the front end parts and replacing front pads, calipers ( both sides ) and rear shoes the problem would go away, but the problem is still there just not as bad as before. I also should mention that tire wear is even across the width of both of the tires in the last 10,000 miles. The alignment machine apparently shows the camber is out but as my alignment guy tells me there is no factory adjustment and the camber kit is the only aftermarket solution. I have since been to the local Ford dealer and their front end man tells me the kit is the only solution. Even after these two endorsments I trust the opinions on this forum even more. I don't mind spending another 400. bucks if you all think it is the right move.

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check the temp of the left and right side with a infrared gun to see if either side is binding or dragging. It's the only way to be sure. If your pull correlates to a higher temp on that side, I'd be suspicious. Don't discount that it can be your tires too. Even brand new tires can do this. It would be a pain, but if you can find someone willing to swap wheels with you for a test ride, that would be your best bet because then your using tires that are already known to be good. The opposite test can be used too... your tires on someone elses truck to see if it pulls. Make sure you swap corner for corner.

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After you posted that agnem , that reminded me that when I bought tires for my wifes ford escape it pulled to the right so I got another alignment done at the same place again(it was free) to check the specs again and it still pulled on the way home. Well went to sears to get a second opinion on the alignment and they swapped the front tires around and it pulled to the left. Moral to the story i guess is it can be your tires. I got the one tire replaced and been fine ever since.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Does it pull harder when you hit the brakes, if it does I would check the radius arm bushings and the brakes.

remington88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
could be a tire pull even if there new. swap the front side to side if the pull goes to the other side its a tire pull. on the alignment he is correct from the factory they did not have (ecentric) ball joins so you have to install the kit for it. had to do it on mine. fixed my camber problem.

remington88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh and camber unless way out wont cause a pull. you would see it if if was out that much. caster will cause a pull tho always to the more negitive or more rearward side

tknomaj

Reaction score
camber can cause a pull if one side is positive and the other is negative remember when we turn one side leans out positive and the other leans in negative and our dual ibeam front suspension realy exagerate this so it is possible and probable . the front springs sag and settle in and that causes the camber problem . i would check ride height measurement on the alignment rack . and go from their if it is springs they are cheaper than the camber adjusting kits .p.s. do not try and take measurements on the ground they will not be accurate have the shop that aligned it make them (they should have measured before any alignment was performed) so do not let them tell you they will have to charge you for the work you have already paid for.

Willie Two

Retired Firefighter
Reaction score
Thanks to all , I have tried the tire swap already and will pull out my temp gun after a long ride. I'll keep you all informed as to the end result. I hate guessing as to the cause and solution but I think I'll have to do the camber bushing kit and trust the front end mechanic is right. :dunno:dunno STILL CHEAPER THAN A NEW TRUCK :D:D:D

tknomaj

Reaction score
have ride height checked first if you have bad springs that have saged over the years springs are abou 80-150 and will correct your camber problem.allways best to start at the begining camber kits are the mechanic most profitable way to solve the problem not nessarly the best. what happens when springs sag more and the kits are maxed out as is the case in some of my customers trucks

remington88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not wanting to ruffle any feathers or anything but yes camber will cause a pull but it has to be pretty far out as i said. you would see it or notice some serious tire wear fast. trust me i know i went through two front tires that way cause i didnt want to install the camber kit. it was alot easier then i thought tho and since doing that and the alignment on it she is good to go.

tknomaj

Reaction score
1 degree positive on one side and 1/2 neg on the other and you have a 1 1/2 degrees camber on the pos side and it will cause a pull add road crown to that and it only gets worse. check for proper ride height when the springs get old ride heaght drops and camber goes negative . correct the ride height and camber returns to proper spec.

Willie Two

Retired Firefighter
Reaction score
So I took the truck into a "Big Rig" front end shop, they installed the camber kit and did a four wheel alignment. Today the truck tracks almost perfect, I leave it like this for now and watch for any premature or excess tire wear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GaryB

Members online