Pulling a C6 transmission

Lonewolf182

Reaction score
It's not a bad idea, but the shavings could be in the cooler as well. Whatever you do, you know that you're on the right track with getting the shavings out.
That's what i expect. Plan to place the filter after the cooler.

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
Any time an auto trans fails there will be debris in the cooler. Allison wouldn’t warranty a replacement trans unless a filter was installed in the cooler return line. I always add one to light duty units too. You cannot get all the debris out of the cooler.

Lonewolf182

Reaction score
Thought I'd give an update.
Murphy's been kicking my butt on this.

I put a quart of fluid in the torque converter then made sure it was completely seated. And another quart in the new/external filter.
Then started bolting everything up.

It went fine till I got to the filler/dipstick tube.
I thought the bracket was broken off. Turned out it was cut off. Someone before me had swapped the crimped turbo down pipe for a round, 3 inch down pipe. Love it but there was no way that the fill tube was going to bolt to the bell housing. Then the guy bent the filler tube, ovaling the end that fits into the tranny. Might explain why it leaked and had a little water in there.
I couldn't get that €#%@ tube to weave back up into the engine compartment.
I finally or ordered a flexible fill tube. Another 5 day wait.

You must be registered for see images attach

Lonewolf182

Reaction score
(Continued)
It went in like butter. I added 2 gallons of Valvoline high-mileage full synthetic fluid. Fired her up and checked for leaks. And boy did I have one, but it turned out to be the fuel return lines.

So i buy a kit, fix the lines, fire up again and go to check the tranny fluid level.
The €£!$×@&× dipstick hit something about 4 inches from being all the way in. Tried a LOT of things, here's what worked.

I removed the fitting at the bottom of the tube. You can see the ridge here. I made a mental note of where the dipstick had dented the ridge.

Lonewolf182

Reaction score
(Continued)
Next I ground about 3/16th off the end then used a drimel to tapper the inside of the fitting.

Lonewolf182

Reaction score
(Continued)
Cleaned things and put them back. The stick still bumped the end of the fitting. The stick wants to go into the tube the same way each time because of the way things curve. So knowing where it was hitting, i was able to tweak the last 1/2" of the stick a little and it finally works.

I do have another, small problem.
This stinky synthetic fluid is so thin and clear that I'm having a hard time telling if or how much fliud is on the stick.

Anyone have a good idea how much fluid she should need?
There's 3 1/2 gallons in her so far and it still seems low.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
From my limited experience, you have too much fluid in there. From what I remember, a case of quart bottles (12 bottles) is enough. I can't remember if it's enough or a little bit too much. It doesn't seem like it takes more than that though.

Lonewolf182

Reaction score
From my limited experience, you have too much fluid in there. From what I remember, a case of quart bottles (12 bottles) is enough. I can't remember if it's enough or a little bit too much. It doesn't seem like it takes more than that though.
Thats what i thought but i just let her sit overnight so that the fill tube could drain completely and give a better reading.
The stick is still dry.
I've leveled the truck and have it idling in park.

We're starting with everything bone dry and filling the tranny, heavy duty torque converter, radiator cooler, external tranny cooler (about 12" by 12"), lines for the coolers and external filter and the external filter.
I'm about to try adding the last half gallon one quart at a time. If that doesn't get it I'll start getting nervous.

Lonewolf182

Reaction score
Decided to try checking it in neutral. Had to block the back tires to keep from rolling off the wheel ramps.

This time I could see fluid on the stick but still couldn't tell how much.
I took a clean paper towel and moved it slowly toward the tip of the stick. It started soaking up oil right at the top of the fill line.

I'll let her idle a bit and recheck.

Lonewolf182

Reaction score
OK. Second check was good. Looks like 14 quarts for my setup.

Gave her a trial run. She's shifting to 2nd smoothly at just over 2K on the tach. Haven't tried for 3rd yet.

But, (why is there always a but?) She's got another leak. This time it's the water pump. At least it's under warranty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online