Pulling a C6 transmission

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That may be all you need to remove instead of the whole turbo. Of course some are easier to remove than others.

For the glow plugs underneath the turbo, I use all 1/4" drive tools. I use a long extension (or multiple ones), a deep 3/8" socket, and a universal (swivel) plus the ratchet to loosen and tighten them again. I usually use a magnet to pull them out of the holes and put them back in again.

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate having to change the glow plug under the turbo. A real pain, just takes a little time and right combination of tools to do it.

Lonewolf182

Reaction score
Hey folks
I got the tranny back on Monday.
When he opened it he found several chewed up parts. He let me come to see them. I may post pics later.
Anyway, had to wait for the new parts to come in.

While I was there he showed me a slick trick for cleaning out the lines a transmission cooler. They came up with a cheap way to use spray brake cleaner.

1st i blew the lines out with a compressor then blew in brake cleaner until it started coming out the other end. Let it set a while and used the compressor again.
Rinse and repeat until both cans were empty.
Got a lot of crap out but still wouldn't call it clean

So I'll try the electric pump idea.
What would y'all use for the solvent?

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
We used brand new parts cleaning solvent. I wouldn't try any of the water based ones. I'd be afraid of getting a little bit of rust in there. I may be wrong with that, but it's just a gut feeling I have.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
While I was there he showed me a slick trick for cleaning out the lines a transmission cooler. They came up with a cheap way to use spray brake cleaner.
I believe that there's also something in an aerosol can that's made just for cleaning out the transmission lines. I didn't witness it, but have heard all of this from another guy over a few years of him trying to cheap out and save money (Jim). This is the same guy who wouldn't buy a new tire to save his life and wondered why he kept having blow outs from driving on cheap, used tires. This product was recommended by a guy who worked at a transmission rebuild shop (Rusty). To make some money on the side, Rusty would rebuild some transmissions at home. Jim tried to use him to save money. Not one of Rusty's rebuilds that he did for Jim were ever right the first time. One time, Rusty brought a can of this product to Jim's after another failed rebuild and used it to try to clean out the cooler lines. It made absolutely no difference. His rebuild still weren't any good. I sure do hope that Rusty didn't have his job at the transmission shop for very long. To sum up that overly long story, I just don't feel that the "cooling flush in a can" products are very good at actually cleaning out the cooler and lines. If it was mine, I wouldn't risk it.

Lonewolf182

Reaction score
This is the same guy who wouldn't buy a new tire to save his life and wondered why he kept having blow outs from driving on cheap, used tires.
I once tried to do a cross country in a van on used tires. Had so many blow outs that i renamed her sugarfoot. :)

Cheapest pump i could find was at auto zone. $30, but they said it will take 2 or 3 days to get here

But at least it can pump diesel so i can keep it as an emergency backup for the carrier pump I'm using now.

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like gman said they sell cans for flushing AC components that have a hose and nozzle. They also sell a gun and bulk solvent to do the same thing. Word of warning. Don't have your face near the exit end when you pull the trigger.

Lonewolf182

Reaction score
A/C flush solvent would be great for this, comes in gallons or quarts and is designed to completely evaporate leaving no residue.
WOW, almost $130 for a gallon of the stuff!

What do y'all think of this idea.
I've got about a quart of kerosene and a gallon of acetone.
1st pump the kerosene through and finish with the acetone. It evaporates completely too.

After paying for the repair and buying 3 gallons of synthetic transmission fluid I'm pretty well tapped out.
And I found a broken, custom oil line. Looks like a hydraulic line. The last one i had made ran about $90, which i don't have right now

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
What do y'all think of this idea.
I've got about a quart of kerosene and a gallon of acetone.
1st pump the kerosene through and finish with the acetone. It evaporates completely too.
I like it. I think you'll do fine this way. Just be sure to try to blow the lines/cooler clear (with compressed air) between flushings. This will help to keep your cleaner clean. That will make it's use more effective.

Lonewolf182

Reaction score
Well i spent about 10 hours flushing the system with kerosene yesterday.
After a while i realized that the pump was only good for filling the cooler/lines and recirculating the solvent through the filter to clean it some.
The real cleaning happened when I'd pull the pump off and hit the line with 90 psi from the compressor. You'd see a shot of blackened solvent each time.
So I'd fill the line, blast it over and over till the kerosene turned black enough then let the pump drive it through the filter till it cleared up.
I both flushed and back flushed.
I left kerosene in the system over night then flushed another 6 times today.
Next i cleaned the metal shavings out of the jug, swapped to a new filter and started using acetone.
The pump only lasted 3 flushes. Must have had some plastic inside that couldn't handle the acetone.
What worries me is, when i checked the jug it had more shavings in it.

Lonewolf182

Reaction score
Ok, new idea.
I don't like the thought that there may still be shavings in there.

This is an old Uhaul and had an external filter connected to the tranny. I asked the guy at the transmission shop if i should set it up but he didn't like the idea.

I'd have to have new lines made for it.
Do y'all think it's a good idea?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It's not a bad idea, but the shavings could be in the cooler as well. Whatever you do, you know that you're on the right track with getting the shavings out.