PSD?

Halltrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
should I buy a PSD?

Hey all, Ive been doing some research over in the 7.3l PSD because I have an opportunity to pick up a 2001 crew cab diesel 4x4, dually, 159,000miles Looks to be in good shape. Im heading out to check it out tomorrow. I currently have a 94 turbo, IDI, crew cab, dually 2wd, 139,000 miles. I may end up keeping the IDI...I may sell...not sure yet. Looks like most seem to think the PSD is reliable just like the IDI just more expensive and complicated to repair.

I guess Im wondering from you experts that may have experience with both is ...well is the 2001 psd reliable and what should I be worried about w 160,000 miles... I dont think the truck has been used to pull any heavy loads. Will I need to be concerned about buying new parts right away? What should I look for tomorrow?

This will not be a daily driver...Usually only need 3-4 times a month and one of those times is pulling my jeep on a steel bed trailer about 600 mile up and back to four wheeling. Looks like it'll run me about $11,500.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Last edited:

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
The PSD is very reliable. At 160k there is not much to worry about. Change the fluids and drive it.:D The important thing to do is keep a CPS in the glove box. That is the only real issue with the PSD. Parts can be expensive, but if your a good shopper you can find them cheap.;Really

Halltrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I went and looked at the truck today. Seemed to drive fine...shifted well It went into 4wd high and low fine. The truck has a fair amount of scratches especially around the dually fenders. I think its been partially used in a business. The interior was really clean.

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
at 160 if the injectors havent been done then they are about due. Not near as bad as the 6.0 but they do go, low fuel pressure and a heui injectors dont mix. If you can find a dealership nearby, swing in on the test drive and have them pull the codes with an ids. Look at oddtcs (current hard faults) cmdtc (stored faults) and pending (if their are any) That will tell you what the computer is seeing and if it thinks something is up. also have them "buzz test" the injectors. They should all sound off the same with no variations.

punk

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The PSD is very reliable. At 160k there is not much to worry about. Change the fluids and drive it.:D The important thing to do is keep a CPS in the glove box. That is the only real issue with the PSD. Parts can be expensive, but if your a good shopper you can find them cheap.;Really

That's what I was told, and I believed that too. Truth be told though, My 02' Excursion has let me sit no fewer than 3 times in the 2+ years I owned it. And the one failure that didn't cause it to die, ended up blowing a $1500 hole in my wallet. Yea, you'r probably reading my posts ******** about this thing all over the place, and I'll admit it will take some years for my attitude to heal if at all, cause I am really sour about it, but I can't deny the fact that I have 5 IDI's running in our household, 2 of which have way more miles than this Excursion, and none have failed me yet. Not only that, but I think back to Scott (Apextrans) and his painfull and expensive PSD experience, and how he missed his IDI after he sold it. Mine knawed through an injector sleeve at 170K and guys told me that's pretty unusual. OK, well unusual it may be. But if it had been a pickup truck instead of an Excursion, it would have been out of here! If I ever get another PSD it won't have that lathargic 4R100 behind it either. That's a $5000 accident waiting to happen. :rolleyes:

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
I agree with Mel 100% on this. I have used PSD trucks for years in all different lines of work, and we honestly had a great deal of problems with them. We had one grenade the turbo on the side of a steep mountain in Weaverville CA (way out in the middle of nowhere) Had to pull it down the mountain with a '91 IDI, then tow it to Redding. Engine was completely shot, metal pieces in all 8 cyls. Ended up removing the service bed and selling the truck.

Another one caught fire (not the PSD's fault, bad power steering hose...) was still very expensive to rewire the engine compartment.

If you've got a chunk of cash somewhere just sittin' and waitin' to spend on a major problem, PSD's are OK, but my experience with them is that everything is expensive (which is OK if it's someone else's dime) And there are engines out there with far more miles running just fine, but I'd rather throw my money at other things.

My 2-cents, not much... I like the body style on the newer trucks, but the PSD engine scares my bank account to death!

Sorry PSD guys :sly

Halltrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
geesh

Hmmm...well thanks for all the input guys. I think Ill sit tight with the IDI then for a bit. The truck i have is absolutely fine...but the wife doesnt like the way it looks in the driveway..I guess she doesnt like the OBS. I was kinda liking the disc brakes all the way around, four wheel drive, and well the newer look and feel of the 2001 that I was looking at. But reliability and ability to fix it my self is more important to me right now.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you could buy a superduty that was reasonably new, with a blown engine, and drop an IDI in it, then you might have something sustainable.

bradshep

Reaction score
Have many people put and IDI in a 1999-2001 truck yet? I have had a few chances to get one of those with blown motors for cheap but was worried about getting the electronics to work for the trans as they were all auto's it would be easier with a 6 spd i guess if they fit on our motors.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance