PSD swap in my 92.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Ok, so the turbine housing is 1.15 A/R, the compressor housing is 1.10 A/R - there are 4 bolts in the compressor housing. I took some pics of the up-pipes and oil cooler as well. The van show's a build date of 01/98.

You must be registered for see images attach

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
The exhaust manifold design and short up pipes are one very obvious benefit the PSD has. The nearly four feet of up pipes that a turbo kit on an idi has surely does not help efficiency.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The vans cooler and manifold hang low and will not fit the pickup frame.I believe the mounts are different as well.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I was looking at some pics on google earlier, I can see the difference in the coolers and I knew the mounts were different. I have 2 engines available to me for sale that are 95 and 96's so they will have the change up parts I need. I'll buy one or the other once we can come to a decent price.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's an early 99 motor.I think you may need to mod a few things to use that turbo, I could be wrong.youre going to need a complete donor truck for the wiring harnesses.you need the motor, headlight, dash and I believe atleast half of the taillight harnesses.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
That's an early 99 motor.I think you may need to mod a few things to use that turbo, I could be wrong.youre going to need a complete donor truck for the wiring harnesses.you need the motor, headlight, dash and I believe atleast half of the taillight harnesses.

Nah, I'm just going to make the van harness work...Simplify it (delete what I don't need) and make it work. I'm going to run this thing in my new test stand shortly once I sort out the harness. Unless I come across a dirt cheap donor...LOL I just need power/ground/ignition to the PCM and fuel pump to fire it up and that is pretty straight forward. I'm not in a rush to make the swap so I have time to frig around with stuf and keep an eye out for a donor.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try to get the 96 if you end up buying one.the 95 hpop, timing cover, oil pickup and oil pan are 94.5-95 only and not very desirable for performance builds

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
The one I'm trying to get is a 96 I think, he is supposed to send me some pics tomorrow. The other one I know of is around 800 and it's a 96 I'm 99% sure. The 2nd guy might have the engine bay wiring too as he took the engine out and I junked the rest of the truck. I was going to see if he was interested in swapping it for my V10 as he has a V10 motorhome and might be interested in spares.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nah, I'm just going to make the van harness work...Simplify it (delete what I don't need) and make it work. I'm going to run this thing in my new test stand shortly once I sort out the harness. Unless I come across a dirt cheap donor...LOL I just need power/ground/ignition to the PCM and fuel pump to fire it up and that is pretty straight forward. I'm not in a rush to make the swap so I have time to frig around with stuf and keep an eye out for a donor.

If youre not going to do it right, why do it at all? I hate when people do this.in my area im the guy that ends up having to straighten the ******* cases out.nothing worse than trying to find a problem in a hacked mess

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Mine won't be a hacked mess, I'm a dealer trained truck mechanic with years of wiring/electrical troubleshooting experience. I don't do crappy work, especially on my own stuff. The PCM only needs power, ground and ignition to fire up the engine....That isn't hard to do.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Nothing new, I haven't picked up my 96 engine yet - I hope to get that this weekend. I'm busy this week with some cash work but I hope to get started on my engine test stand this week as well. I'm going to use the van harness for a "break-out" harness to run the engine in the stand and try a few things related to troubleshooting injectors. I'll post some pics when i get her set up.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
So V10 trade deal fell through, the engine was in storage and Larry forgot he told his buddy to take it to the auction so when he went to dig it out it was gone...LOL...I found another truck, 95 F250 4x4 complete for $1000....It would give me everything I need for the swap and a spare 4wd ZF to boot which is good.
I have to do some digging on Mitchell to see if the 95 harness PCM plug pinout is the same as the 99 PCM. If it's not would there be an issue running the 95 PCM with the 99's bigger injectors and HUEI pump? The 99 engine has 201,000KM, the 95 engine has 215,000KM so if it runs as good as the 99 I could use it instead. I'm supposed to look at the truck Thursday, probably bring it home at the same time.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
So V10 trade deal fell through, the engine was in storage and Larry forgot he told his buddy to take it to the auction so when he went to dig it out it was gone...LOL...I found another truck, 95 F250 4x4 complete for $1000....It would give me everything I need for the swap and a spare 4wd ZF to boot which is good.
I have to do some digging on Mitchell to see if the 95 harness PCM plug pinout is the same as the 99 PCM. If it's not would there be an issue running the 95 PCM with the 99's bigger injectors and HUEI pump? The 99 engine has 201,000KM, the 95 engine has 215,000KM so if it runs as good as the 99 I could use it instead. I'm supposed to look at the truck Thursday, probably bring it home at the same time.

94.5 - 97 are a different animal than a 99 and up PCM. HPOP is not an issue. The split shot injectors will be. It will run like a ****, unless you have a chip with a good program.