PSD swap in my 92.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I pulled a valve cover on the 99 engine, AB code injectors in it. Not the AD's I was expecting but that's fine...Looks like the 95 engine will likely be used. I checked the fuel tank tonight - 3/4 full!....Bonus...LOL....Now I just need to figure out the "running out of fuel" issue so I can warm her up to temp. I suspect it's the cobbled up heated fuel lines causing the issue so i will bypass that first when I finish up working on the 99 F350 4x4 cash job sitting in my shop.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Toss the 95 motor.its not a good choice for performance mods due to its one year hpop, timing cover.use all the 95 wiring, may need to change a few sensors and will need to swap vc gaskets and harnesses on the 99 motor.id use the 99 motor with rebuilt 95 injectors.would even use the 99s splits.worse thing thatll happen is itll run like ****.I ran splits in mine when I put the first motor in it and when I thought iwas having an injector problem.only issue I had was a lope at startups, quick throttle whack took care of it till next startup.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
There is no money for reman injectors right now, should I use the 95 or 99 injectors in the 99 engine? This is not a performance build, just need a little more mojo than my IDI is providing. I might put a tuner on it for a small gain. I'd like to build up a mild PSD for fun and put it in a 2wd stepside.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
honesty if youre not planning on performance mods run the 95 motor if if runs good.only big issue with it is if you plan on upgrading to the 17° hpop.wich I have an easy fix for if needed.save the 99 for a spare (not that you need one) or stuff it into a 2wd.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
The truck weighs in at 9000lbs with the 9ft plow on the nose...Just need some extra torque and the 95 engine with a tuner should do just fine. I'll get the 95 engine up to temp and see how it runs before make my decision. If I keep the 99 engine I also have the matching E4OD for it so I could save both for a project....My buddy is heading to the Carolina's in the spring and he is bringing back two trucks and a trailer to sell so maybe I can get him to find me a nice 92-96 2wd stepside.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Soooooo....I bypassed the cobbled up heated fuel lines and ran the 95 engine up to temp today...Other than a decent oil leak from the rear main seal or rear of the pain the engine ran well. No big smoke and it takes a big throttle hit no problem. I think I'll tighten up the 95 engine and use it as is....Fix the leaks, re-oring the injectors and a few other things. The oil cooler is as dry as a popcorn fart so I'm not sure if I'll tempt fate and touch that or not...LOL

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I was happy with it...I only put 7500km on my truck in 2yrs so I don't need a super low mileage engine for her. 342KM is nothing for a PSD so with some tinkering this will do the trick for me. I'd like to save the 99 engine for a 92-96 Stepside build if Stan can find me one I can afford when he goes to NC in the spring.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Just a summer toy, tweek the PSD a little, build a good working auto trans and have some fun with short stacks hiding behind the cab.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If all you want is a little more grunt from it you really dont need a programmer (94-97s dont really like programmers anyway), all you need is the 10k mod and idm mod wich will cost you about 10 bux, and upgrade to the 17° hpop wich your 99 motor may have.youll need to mod the timing cover to run it wich is very simple and will cost a max of 50 bux to get the 96-97 hpop reservoir.

Go to www.superdutydiesel.com search the 94-97 forums for a thread by me titled "timing cover mod".I use the same user name over there

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While you have it apart do the 3"downpipe much easier to massage the firewall pinch weld seam with the motor out.replace the up pipe donuts with small block chevy exhaust donuts.replace turbo pedistal orings and gut the ebpv and actuator (most likely part of your oil leak).

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the resistors for the idm mod if you want one.should be able to drop it in the mail to you without you having to deal with customs or whatever, right?

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
While you have it apart do the 3"downpipe much easier to massage the firewall pinch weld seam with the motor out.replace the up pipe donuts with small block chevy exhaust donuts.replace turbo pedistal orings and gut the ebpv and actuator (most likely part of your oil leak).

Oh yeah, all that "hard to deal with later" stuff is getting done before it goes in and I was going to modify the Van downpipe to fit my truck. I plan to lay my truck up for a month or so and do a few things at the same time. Where and when it was leaking had me thinking about the EBPV yesterday.