Psd oil filter ok?

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
However, 'cheaper' starters like the autozone ones might not last very long - build quality isn't great.
The design of the starter is fine, though, and it /is/ a gear-reduction unit.

I've been having awesome results w/ autozone remans.

Mobil M1-601 oil filter.I run these for 9k miles.(BIG & synthetic)

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Previous to the elf filter, I always ran the Mobil 1.
Also went with a AutoZone "new" starter.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use wix filter only for the fuel filter and oil filter and air filter. Nothing wrong with any others but I perfer to have wix on it. That's all I use at work.

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been having awesome results w/ autozone remans.

Mobil M1-601 oil filter.I run these for 9k miles.(BIG & synthetic)

Do you recommend using synhetic? I run just mobile delvac 15w40. I change it every 3000 along with the fuel filter.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I run Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 in my trucks at 9k intervals.I run it in my diesel wood chipper too.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually I will take a Fram any day over a motorcraft. Motorcraft is made by purolator and purolator has been having issues the past couple years with their filter media tearing. I cut all my filters open and I have seen torn pleats in a FL1995, FL400 and FL1A. Purolator has been notified of the issue several times and they refuse to acknowledge they have an issue. No more motorcraft or purolator filters for me!
i agree! Purolater has gone down hill. Fram has improved. Fram makes a great air filter. The fram ultra oil filter is currantly the best on the market. The orange can has a very good filter paper in it. Just not a whole lot,but sufficient for a normal oci.

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
I want to point out that there's nothing /wrong/ with the starter Napa etc. sells - they work just fine and will crank plenty fast.
However, 'cheaper' starters like the autozone ones might not last very long - build quality isn't great.
The design of the starter is fine, though, and it /is/ a gear-reduction unit.

I also believe in cleaning your own starter and making sure it is shot before replacing it - often it just needs some cleaning, new grease in the gears and it'll work like new.
The main wear-out part is the brushes - if 1 of the 4 gets too small, the starter runs on half power, which acts like a dead battery(slow cranking speed)
I am having trouble starting my truck, and it seems like the batteries. But I only drive a few times every 2-4 weeks. But seeing what you say there. I am going to check the batteries out of the truck, then if they are fine take the starter to a repair place. Unless its a simple job then I would like to know what to do for that. Thanks.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And it's worth taking apart first, to see if it *is* the brushes... or just dirty/grimy.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
My mom ran fram oil filters mostly on her 91 Corolla for 16 years and it was still fine after I traded it off at about 168k, wrecked but still drivable, to a dealer.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Yeah, not quite as bad as some make them out to be.
But on the other hand, can you kill a Toyota even if you try to?

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Yeah, not quite as bad as some make them out to be.
But on the other hand, can you kill a Toyota even if you try to?

I would say the same for the 3cyl Suzuki engines in Geo Metros. I ran it hard with a blown head gasket. Not mixing fluids, but burning them at a fast rate.