PSD Electric Vacuum Pump

tractorman86

Reaction score
I suspect folks who have had a negative experience with hydroboost, had a system that was not 100%.

yea it was a chevy 1ton dually:puke: and i had a backhoe on a gooseneck, a plastic part in the hydraboost melted down all of a sudden and i was stuck trying to stop 20k with crap for brakes and steering;Pissed ;Pissed . replaced the boost unit and worked fine for about a week then it broke a ps shaft and has never been righ since.-cuss i have never had a problem with my vacuum pump or belt, my brakes are stronger than that dually ever thought about being and we've done EVERYTHING on that dually! i'll stick with the 60 year old tried and true vacuum boost.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Best word of advice for continuing to use vacuum then, is to install a vacuum gauge as part of your instrumentation augmentation. It's handy for watching your cruise control work too, if you have a pre-91 model year. This way when your vacuum pump fails, you'll see it on the gauge before you feel it with the foot. I run one on my other 2 trucks, and they tell you a lot if you learn to watch them. They even sort of work like an altimiter. LOL

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mel, where do you plumb your vacuum gauge, straight off the vacuum tree on teh firewall, or running off a vacuum line inside the cab somewhere? And yes, you're very correct on the statement about vacuum gauge being handy diagnostics tools, I had one of those hooked into both my older trucks and I drove pretty much exclusively by its readings - it told me when to upshift, when to downshift, when my power valves open (both of them) and so on... real worth the time to learn using right, that's how I squeezed 20mpg out of a 350 small-block with a double-pumper Holley in a fullsize truck with 33" tires :D

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh I'd still put a gauge in a 92 and up, it's just that it doesn't tell you anything about your cruise control, since 92 and later used electronic cruise. Yup, just plug it into the plastic manifold on the firewall. I guess if you have a source of vacuum in the cab that's open to the pump you could use that too, but I think a lot of HVAC controls are buffered by the vacuum canister.

tractorman86

Reaction score
hmmm i think i'll do that. got any clue what #'s you have to be pulling to run the brakes, a/c, and cruise. speaking of which i need to figure out why my cruise dosen't work, all the fuses are good past that i'm lost.

Camarogenius

Reaction score
Subscribing to the thread, as I'm putting A/C in the F-800, and will need a source of vacumn to operate it.

tractorman86

Reaction score
comaro is the a/c the only thing on the 800 thats vacuum, if so that pump that is at the begining of the thread would be perfect for you.