Proper Coolant Type

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am taking my truck into the shop next week for some maintenance, and the shop mechanic says that regular green coolant is appropriate for our trucks.

I believe that is correct, as long as the coolant is "low silicate" type. Am I right?

He will add the necessary SCAs after flushing and refilling the system.

Any reason I should order any other type of coolant (i.e., precharged?) What coolant is best for our IDI engines?

Thank you,
Mike

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
Sounds like you got it, green low silicate is what you want. I used to use fleet rite, but i think they might have changed the brand name. Don't know what it is now. Have a looksie on google and you can probably find some green low silicate.

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I swapped to ELC after reading all the hype from CAT. It is expensive at $10 a gallon premixed. So $60-70 for the system plus flushing.

There are several anti-ELC folks at the 'other place' that will swear that oil cooler o-rings and the water pump will fail. Not sure if I have been lucky or what, but 11k miles and a year later, the truck still has it's original water pump and oil cooler.

I did have problems with hose leaks, but other ELC users have told me they did not have a problem. I finally bought a box of HD clamps at $1.70 each which solved the problem.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bob123456789

Members online