Promise... the build

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good news. Looks like I'll have the truck back, sometime next week. :D

They are done with everything but the fuel tank, and are waiting for parts for it.

BTW: Apparently my fuel tank is the odd man out. The innerds are not just like the pic here, in the other thread about the gas tank pickup.

They are going to adapt a showerhead from a gas engine pickup, instead.

Last edited:

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats what I have been thinking. Makes the most sense.

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not just that, but an older gasser. Same age or newer, would have had fuel injection, and those would have the pump in the tank, no?

Plus, I have had zero problems with the rear tank. If the problems were ONLY because it sat for 5 years, then it would make sense that both tanks would have problems. I'm thinking the front tank was from an older truck, and therefore, already had some age on it before being put in the truck.

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good news. Looks like I'll have the truck back, sometime next week. :D
Yeah, I said that last week. Now I am saying the same thing again this week. LOL

I'll have it sometime next week.

They weren't able to salvage the pickup for the front tank. And couldn't find a replacement. (It's a plastic tank, and is over 20 gallons. So, who knows if it was replaced with something aftermarket or junkyard, by the previous owner.)

So, that tank was bypassed, and they took it for the last test ride.

On that test drive... It stalled out.

Turns out the lines are being clogged by crud from the rear tank. (Stands the test of logic. The truck wasn't being driven around before. Now it is. Hitting bumps and such, and knocking that crud loose from the insides of the tank.

So now they have ordered a new rear tank and sending unit. And I should have the truck sometime next week.

They are having the old sending unit 'remanufactured'. As in sending the complete thing to someone who will make a whole new unit identical to this crusty unit. Without the crust, of course. LOL

When that comes in, I'll return, and they'll do the front tank.

Plus, I have had zero problems with the rear tank.
Famous last words, right? LOL

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
(It's a plastic tank, and is over 20 gallons. So, who knows if it was replaced with something aftermarket or junkyard, by the previous owner.)
I don't believe that these trucks had plastic tanks from the factory so I'm betting that it was something that a previous owner scrounged up.

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't believe that these trucks had plastic tanks from the factory so I'm betting that it was something that a previous owner scrounged up.
After all of their research, the shop said that this truck had three tank options for the front. Two were steel, and one was plastic. They aren't convinced that it is not the original tank. I have no proof. So there we are. LOL

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Two were steel, and one was plastic.
I'm not going to argue because they may be right. I just don't recall seeing a Ford diesel with a factory plastic tank until the 99+ Super Dutys. I will freely admit that I haven't seen even close to it all.

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just got a reply from the previous owner. He doesn't know of any replacement tank.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not going to argue because they may be right. I just don't recall seeing a Ford diesel with a factory plastic tank until the 99+ Super Dutys. I will freely admit that I haven't seen even close to it all.

Garage across the street has a 95 powerstroke and I noticed the plastic tank
Thought it was odd but maybe it was stock.

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record here...

I got a call this afternoon.

They are done with it. But they got there too late in the day.

They want to take it for another joyride, er I mean test drive, tomorrow. (Every ride is a joyride, amiright???)

So I'll be picking it up monday afternoon.

RetiringColt

Reaction score
Sounds like I'm a few days late, but T-Rex auto parts stocks fuel parts for our diesel trucks. Replacement tanks that are plastic and tank senders that are year specific. That's where I got my senders. Fit and function are great. The floats are plastic not soldered brass.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
A little bit off topic, but with all of this talk about plastic fuel tanks, I just have to bring it up. Since all of the newer vehicles have so much friggin' plastic in them these days, I wonder how they are able to sell new vehicles at all in California. We all know how they feel about plastic in California. Think about it. Old vehicles are "evil" and not very efficient or emissions compliant, but they didn't have much plastic in them. Newer ones are full of plastic, but what happens when there's a wreck? Don't tell me that all of the plastic pieces are picked up and sent to a recycler. I'd bet that most of them end up in a landfill where they stay for hundreds of years.cookoo

Chief

Reaction score
A little bit off topic, but with all of this talk about plastic fuel tanks, I just have to bring it up. Since all of the newer vehicles have so much friggin' plastic in them these days, I wonder how they are able to sell new vehicles at all in California. We all know how they feel about plastic in California. Think about it. Old vehicles are "evil" and not very efficient or emissions compliant, but they didn't have much plastic in them. Newer ones are full of plastic, but what happens when there's a wreck? Don't tell me that all of the plastic pieces are picked up and sent to a recycler. I'd bet that most of them end up in a landfill where they stay for hundreds of years.cookoo
Something to think about, lol

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I brought it home this afternoon.

It still drives like the brakes are dragging. Maybe this is normal. Maybe they just need to wear in. We'll see. They were a bit hotter than I expected, when I got home.

1600 RPM at 65 MPH! That is great!

The old truck with a C-6 was at 3400 RPM, by 50 MPH!!! :eek:

Hope to see a lot better fuel mileage on this one.

Brake light. (Dash) Comes on at ~40mph. And stays on, the rest of the time the truck is running. Park it and turn it off, the light goes out again. And comes on again at ~40mph. Later rinse repeat. It has a brand new, and correctly adjusted brake switch. Any idea why this is happening?

And does the torque converter not lock up, if the brake light is on?

OD light started flashing... ONLY when I got home, and put it into 4WD, and backed it up the driveway. Before taking it to the shop, that light was always coming on. Now, only with 4wd. Tomorrow I will hook up my new obd1 scanner and find out what codes were stored when that started flashing...

They replaced the entire brake system minus the steel lines, and the rear rubber line. EVERYTHING else was replaced. Pads, shoes rotors drums, calipers, wheel cylinders, adjusters, hardware, etc. MC and vacuum booster. All of it replaced. (Still seems like something is dragging.)

They replaced the transmission.

Replaced the rear tank and sending/pickup unit.

They had to send away the pickup/sending unit to have a new one specially built, for the front plastic tank. They'll put the tank and unit back in, when they get back here.

They also replaced the fuel water separator, and cleaned or replaced all the fuel and return lines.

They replaced the alternator, the wiper motor, the shift indicator, and a bunch of smaller items.

The engine is in as good a shape as they could have done, so they pretty much left it alone. They did replace the belt tensioner.

I am now going to be looking for someone close to me that knows how to time these things. They didn't mention anything about timing...

Now I need to put in the headlight relays.

Put the electric fuel pump onto a "hot in run" power source.

Use that toggle switch instead, for the GP switch.

Do something about the rear license plate light.

Put the dash back together.

Install some gauges.

Put a step on it.

Start looking for a cheap or free canopy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bsthomas21

Members online