Project: The New CDD Shop Truck

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
:***:how is that gonna work? More important I guess, how would it look? Having a hard time imagining that and how it would work. Not that I doubt it, I'm sure it's possible. Just hard to imagine

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I suppose that if you made a custom housing to mount them, you could use a GM pump on top of ours since they run backwards.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Here is one idea. It’s on a 6.5 in a tractor pull tractor.....

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Plan is to mill a 6.9 gear cover down leaving the back flange for the pump studs, have my machinist with a five axis cut out a billet insert to be welded into the milled cover, with a flange on top of the insert for a 7.3 gear cover with tach and oil fill to bolt onto. For the pump, I’m going to run identical pumps for now, with the top pump just having a flipped cam ring to account for the opposite rotation. Plan down the road after i prove the concept is to run a mild 200cc pump on the bottom, with an unregulated pump with no metering valve that is externally activated past a certain throttle position to flow a pretty ludicrous amount of fuel since it won’t have to be designed to idle, since the bottom pump carries that duty, it just acts as a booster.

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could always run an idler gear made out of a crank gear too if you wanted them to spin the same direction. I've always pondered the idea. I'm assuming you are going to leave the one pump "off" until higher throttle position or even based off boost. Will the pump be fine just to freewheel until its needed or could it hurt the pump?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could always run an idler gear made out of a crank gear too if you wanted them to spin the same direction. I've always pondered the idea. I'm assuming you are going to leave the one pump "off" until higher throttle position or even based off boost. Will the pump be fine just to freewheel until its needed or could it hurt the pump?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
I thought about the idler but don’t want the pump stack to get too high.

The second pump will be lubricated as it’s turning just no fuel will be going through the charging port. I’m planning on using a specific marine housing I have picked out for the project that will allow the charging circuit to be externally rerouted when the pump isn’t injecting.

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What will you do injectors wise then? Are stock or stage 1 injectors capable of flowing that much? Or will you have to get crazy with them too? What about lines? are they capable of flowing that much fuel too?

If you're looking for that much power that you need 2 pumps,IMO I'd ditch the rotary pump design. I would think it would be easier to come up with a way to install a variable advance on an inline pump vs installing 2 pumps to run together. I think the biggest issue with rotary pumps is refilling the plungers at higher speeds, at least that's what it looks like the problem is with your fueling graphs. Having a plunger per cylinder eliminates that issue.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What will you do injectors wise then? Are stock or stage 1 injectors capable of flowing that much? Or will you have to get crazy with them too? What about lines? are they capable of flowing that much fuel too?

If you're looking for that much power that you need 2 pumps,IMO I'd ditch the rotary pump design. I would think it would be easier to come up with a way to install a variable advance on an inline pump vs installing 2 pumps to run together. I think the biggest issue with rotary pumps is refilling the plungers at higher speeds, at least that's what it looks like the problem is with your fueling graphs. Having a plunger per cylinder eliminates that issue.

These IDI injectors are garden hoses compared to most diesel injectors, I’ll be running my 3m competition injectors with this setup. RnD is already working on developing an inline kit using the A series pumps that are more readily available than the p pumps in an 8 cylinder configuration. The dual pump kit will be to meet demand for guys who don’t want to fork out the green for a full inline conversion but want similar performance. Two .450 pumps can deliver 440+ cc at hp peak in their current setup, still got some cam rings and rotors I want to test to see if I can get more, but that’s still well into A series pump territory in the current configuration, without the entire top of the engine being covered by a big inline.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I meant for some one else. If people drive around 1000HP Pro Street cars, then why couldn't this be street driven too?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Running two identical pumps on the street is doable if they have regular min max governors, but pumps with no governor shouldn’t be run in an uncontrolled environment, if the pump ran away it could put the drivers at risk not to mention other people on the road, running it at the track or on a dyno no problem

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online