Problems!!!

6.9guy

Reaction score
Ok, so I get in my '85 and fire it up. It sarts on the first spin, runs for a few seconds, then dies... I have replaced every return line hose, all the o-rings, the valve core on the filter housing, and double checked every steel line. My filter is new as well as my glow plugs. Maybe an IP issue? Hope not! Anyway I am open for tips!!

6.9guy

Reaction score
Leaving the filter. I have about 4-5 lbs of pressure there. The thing will run, but it takes forever, and ever cranking, wiating, cranking...

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check your glow plugs for operation. They may be burned out. Use only Autolite/Beru brand. Even if new, they can burn out. Can use a 12volt 50 watt incandescent trouble lite for this. Clamp the red lead on the +battery terminal, touch the black lead to the top of each glow plug for a second. If it lights up, the plug is not burned out. If no light, the plug is burned out. It only takes a few bad glowplugs to make for hard-starting.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Please don't use the autolites or champion type glow plugs. The burn out and swell so bad that most times the heads need to be removed to get them out. Motorcraft Berus are what most here will use. Wellmans are second to that.

6.9guy

Reaction score
Well I went through all the plugs and they checked out ok. Were should I go from here?

tractorman86

Reaction score
trace all of your fuel lines, have someone turn on the key and blow some air pressure into the tank while you inspect then repeat with other tank.

hahn_rossman

Hahn Rossman
Reaction score
It's an air leak. It can be really hard to determine where the air is entering. Before starting unscrew your filter an see how much fuel is in there. I suspect it will be 1/2 full. The air leak allows the fuel to siphon back to the tank. I had a bad clamp on the line from my filter head t the ip. It took forever to find it. I'd seriously consider replacing those weird olives or square oring on the hard lines. Good luck.

6.9guy

Reaction score
It's an air leak. It can be really hard to determine where the air is entering. Before starting unscrew your filter an see how much fuel is in there. I suspect it will be 1/2 full. The air leak allows the fuel to siphon back to the tank. I had a bad clamp on the line from my filter head t the ip. It took forever to find it. I'd seriously consider replacing those weird olives or square oring on the hard lines. Good luck.

Thanks for the help!! Hard line o-rings it was! Now were back in the game... Time to put her up for sell so I can get the '95 turbo diesel I found! Thanks again!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin