Problems Again!

Bwise

Reaction score
Not that any of my issues have been to major so far but this one has got me stumped.

it looks like I dumped all of my tranny fluid out of this tube
You must be registered for see images

no transmission fluid registers on the dip stick.
its just in front of the transmission pan, and behind the oil pan.

there are other pictures of my truck in that album if you click on the picture

The wires you see there are attached to a transmission heater for those cold AK mornings.

Any Ideas whats wrong Anyone?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
E4OD? Yea, I know, if I have to ask I probably shouldn't comment on this thread, but I've seen one do this. Jim Madden puked out all his trans fluid at the 2005 IDI Weekend as he backed his camper into his spot. Something about it being real hot after a long pull.... Dunno the cause, but they do it. Something about a seal I believe.

pafixitman

Reaction score
Yep, get em too hot and they will puke all of the fluid from the vent. I would change the filter and replace all of the fluid (flush the TC and coolers if you can). Keep an eye on the temps.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
yep you got her hot and she complained about it - change the fluid and enjoy - the front pump seal will more than likely be fine.

hoodshauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Eric pucked his last year on the way to the rally if my memory is correct. She got hot while having to sit in stop and go traffic, pulling the camper. :backoff

If you dont have a gauge on you tranny now would be a good time to install one.

Bwise

Reaction score
Wow... Thank you everyone for the posts.

I was pulling a trailer but very little weight probably 500 pounds total, regular highway trafic. not stop and go either.

I hope it is not a sign of things to come.

I don't have any external cooler or filters so, so do you think it would be safe to just refill transmission.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth, with my C6 experience, I'd say an external cooler is a requirement for long trans life. Especially the E40D, as many have said heat is a killer. There are specific temperatures at which things begin to break down. There is a chart on the web somewhere, but I don't have it handy. For what little a cooler costs, I'd add it while your flushing and filling.

Bwise

Reaction score
Thanks again for the responses, not having much experience with this truck I am very happy to have your advice.

I went looking for a Tranny cooler, possibly a new pan with a larger resivor, I also found a pan that had fins on it to aid in cooling. I don't plan on doing much towing, but I do want my truck/tranny to last. This one looked kindof good to me. http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/E4OD_4R100_transmission_pan_cooler_p/600-000014108.htm What do you all think?

I found this link interesting I thought you all might as well if you havent came accross it already, a little history on the C6 to E40D from a mechanic who rebuilds them http://www.technicalevolution.com/e40d.htm

hoodshauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never delt with the pan type coolers. I had a coil type that went in front of the radiator, on a E4OD and it worked great. You can find them on Ebay or your local parts store. They a fairly cheap also and easy to install.

pafixitman

Reaction score
B,
Save yourself some dough and get a factory pan for a 2001 Super Duty 4X4 automatic. I forget the number, but could probably dig it up at home. You also need a 4X4 filter. The gasket is the newer style reusable, the pan has a drain plug and holds about 2 qts extra. Order from jegs or the like a B&M plate style cooler. Take the return line from the bottom of the rad. and tie it into the cooler, come out of the cooler and connect to the return line. Return line is the one that goes to the back of the tranny.

I actually run two plate coolers on mine in addition to a Factory Tech valve body and the 4X4 pan.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford 4X4 4R100 Stamped metal pan. Holds about 1 quart over stock.

Pan: F81Z-7A194-BA
Filter: YC3Z-7A098-BA
Reusable gasket I can't find the number but I replaced mine a few months ago (PO used corkcookoo ) and IIRC it was only about $15 - $20

Stolen
According to the Automatic Transmission Rebuilders Association (1) 90% of all transmission failures are caused by overheating, (2) if fluid temps can be held to 175°, ATF will last almost indefinitely, and (3) as a rule of thumb, every 20° increase in operating temperature above 175° halves the life expectancy of a transmission.

According to 4R100 guru Gregg Evans: "Should run around 150-190 most of the time, anything over 200 is something you should watch, if it stays above 200 most of the time there is a problem."

Lots of good info on http://www.timskelton.com/lightning/race_prep/powertrain/tranny_mods.htm about tranny coolers filters etc, all pertaining to the 4R100 tranny but very usefull for the infamous E4DOA

Not much I can help you with on automatic trannies. Hope this helps, good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bob123456789

Members online