Probably IP, just wanted feedback

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, here's the story:

Normal operating temp is 190. If I stop and it drops to 175 or higher, or under about 130 it will start no prob. If it is between 140-150 it usually starts, between 150-175, it wont start w/o either or letting it cool more about 50% of the time.

Just put a new mechanical lift pump on and changed the fuel filter. Need to get the cash to get a timing meter as it hasn't been timed in at least 40,000 miles. Total miles on truck 187,000

Hoping to get a ip and injectors, but $ is a problem for awhile. Current mileage on ip and injectors is unknown, but the ip still has signs of some grey paint (original?). I have had the truck for 37,000 mi/3-1/2 yrs and am still trying to get totally caught up on things.

Am I on the right track or am I missing something?

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
Sounds like classic heat soak to me...

My brown truck did this, I always carried around a few gallons of tap water in the bed of the truck. If I went to start the truck hot and it wouldn't go, I would pour some of the tap water on the IP to cool it down, then it would fire up every time.

When I ran B99 biodiesel it started hot no problem...

I also had 200,000 miles on what I presume was the original IP, since it had the grey IH paint on it still too.

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, forgot to mention that I tried the cool water trick and it hasn't made any difference. cookoo That is why I decided to post. To see if I was missing something.

P.S. It seemed to get better for a few days when i did the lift pump. Probably my imagination (or hope :sly).