Prep for sale fail

Desertrig

Reaction score
I have a 90 F super duty idi e40d (rebuilt 3-4 years ago ~1000 miles) 5.13 rear, 10k dump bed. The truck continues to do the crazy idle thing after sitting even though I've done return lines, check valve, lift pump..... It also may stall on releasing WOT. On driving it to previous owner (~ 2 miles) who is interested: it died twice and flashed the overdrive light. Scanned it and got code 14 Eca has intermittent loss of profile ignition pick up. Don't think I got Koer test right. I don't mind reading but I'm not really getting good results from search. The electric connector at the trans selector was dirty but I'm thinking I should do an electric fuel pump before addressing the stalling issue/code throwing. I'm not liking the 1/8" lines on the facet and thinking carter 4070. Perhaps I need to address the metering valve, but couldn't find where I'm putting ATF.... It's really frustrating because my 92 idi zf5 just runs as long as the batteries are good! Suggestions and links to relevant threads and your time are greatly appreciated!!!

SebastIDIan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ATF goes in the fuel filter, let it run until makes a different sound and shut it off. Let it sit overnight.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
It might be injection failing but may be the metering valve is gummed up.do you run any fuel additive? If not how many miles are on the injection pump. Generally speaking 125,00 miles and they are worn out.Some claim much more mileage but I'm suspect. Majority here know 125,00 os the break point for pumps. Think about it this way. Gas engines usually get ignition tune ups at say 70,000 miles. So when we "tune up our idi diesels we replace the injectors and injection pump at 125,000 miles. Some drive more and some drive less for tune ups. No matter what you drive.. When is wore out... Its wore out...

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you put in an electric fuel pump, and the metering valve is sticky, you will have same issue. Don't ask me how I know haha.

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Electric pumps do not fix problems, so if you have an issue you'll want to correct it. I installed an electric pump this spring but a few weeks ago I needed to "clean my metering valve" as my truck was stalling as soon as I came to a stop at a red light.

I took off my fuel filter, put on a new one that was filled with ATF. Ran the truck until the sound of idle changed, mine hiccups a bit when this happens. I waited another second then shut truck off. Next morning I drove it and was all better.

But that is also not a repair. It is kind of like borrowing more time. At 250k I don't know how old my pump is and it is probably time for a new one. One day it will not be a sticky valve, it will be the pump saying, "I WAS WARNING YOU FOR THREE YEARS!" Haha

The electric pump for me was replacing an ancient lift pump. I will say my start ups are a lot better now!!

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk