Pre roadtrip checklist?

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay guys. I am leaving this Friday for a 2000 mile vacation with the family. In preparation for the trip I have done the following:

Rear Diff fluid
Front Calipers/pads
Alignment/bearing check
5 new tires
New Torque Converter
DNE2 install
Trans filter flush and cooler upgrade
New Alt and all new belts
New headlights
Batteries were new last winter
IP/Injectors were new last summer

I will be changing the oil and replacing the fuel filter this week. I will also be taking a spare fuel filter, some tools, battery charger and extra fluids with me.

Anything else to think about/check prior to leaving?

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
That list looks fairly complete. Just a couple of things I can think of would be check/fill ALL fluids.... just not the "vital" ones. Make sure the Windshield Washer Fluid bottle is full for one. I have been away from home on a trip and pushed the button to get nothing.... frustrating when you "need" it and its empty. Also, double check the tire pressure on all 5 tires. Every tire shop and garage I have dealt with has not / will not inflate the tires to my preferred pressure, which in my case (wither right or wrong) I keep all 5 at 80 PSI. They wear and ride better on my truck at that level. Any time I have to have a tire serviced, or if I happened to take it in for an oil change (had to over the winter due to health issues) at the Ford garage, they "corrected" the tire inflation to ~60 PSI. When I had new tires installed, and then had to have one of them repaired, the tire dealer (which is not one of the box store tire places, they deal with all tires from lawn and garden to farm tractors and semi tires) would only inflate the tires to the "correct" 60 PSI. So I always have to "fix" my "properly inflated" tires after I get home. I would also check all running lights, besides the headlights, and marker, license, etc, and the same on the trailer, if you are towing one. Some states are a stickler for ALL lights working, period. As you know here in Indiana, if you had a flashlight duct taped to the hood, you wouldn't get a second glance. Check wiper blades..... never know.... I would even clean the inside of the windshield and front windows, depending on where you are, with different lighting conditions, a dirty window makes it very hard to see, since you see the window, instead of through it.

I know some of this list may seem odd, and kinda funny. But I have found out, over the years, sometimes it is the little things you don't think about that crop up and cause an issue, or at least a bit of inconvenience.

Most importantly, ENJOY THE VACATION!!!!!!!! Remember it is a vacation, and you should enjoy it. Travis and I figured out, if you need a vacation, to recover from your vacation, you did something wrong.........

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
check/clean battery terminals and cover with anti-corrosion sealant.
carry spare alt & voltage regulator, starter and at least 4 fuel filters.
one set of spare belts at minimum.

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Good call on all the fluids, lights etc. I will double check those. I had forgotten about the wiper blades.

I am planning on giving it a good cleaning prior to the trip including the inside and outside of all the windows. During the day it's not too bad, but at night a dirty windshield is no fun.

Forgot to add that I also replaced the battery cable when I did the batteries. I have an extra voltage regulator....alternator is new this spring. I added a voltage gauge to keep an eye on it. I will pick up an extra set of belts.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most importantly, ENJOY THE VACATION!!!!!!!! Remember it is a vacation, and you should enjoy it. Travis and I figured out, if you need a vacation, to recover from your vacation, you did something wrong.........

I beg to differ.
my 2 month trek from CA-MI-TX-CA required a week decompression when I got back to CA.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two quarts of auto trans fluid. Could be used to top off trans or pre-filling fuel filter. Better than carrying extra diesel as the trans fluid can be used for either task. I also carry a small bottle of brake fluid, if you blow a line it may help you reach a service station vs a towing bill. Make certain you have at least one (I carry two) good flash light with good batteries and if it's cold where you are going, doesn't hurt to carry an old wool blanket. Can be used for warmth or something to lay on if you have to crawl under your truck. I also carry a small 12volt air compressor & tire plug kit (again, better than changing a tire along a 70mph four lane) plug it or pump it up and drive to safer location to make a tire change. Grease u-joints. Roll of black electrical tape, roll of duct tape. Small umbrella.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since most of my trips involve dragging my trailer with either my Supra or my Rockcrawler to some sort of event, I usually have a bunch of tools with me. I've found that rather than a 12V air compressor, my Powertank (just a 10lb bottle of CO2) is a much better source of compressed air. CO2 has a higher expansion rate than regular O2, and a 10lb tank usually lasts me a whole trip and then some. When offloading, I'll use it to inflate my rock crawler tires back to road pressure after deflating for the trail. That's 4, 37" tires from 5psi to 25 psi every day for 3-5 days, and "air to spare" for tools, etc. I use it to adjust tire pressure, rear suspension airbag pressure, and run air tools. NOTHING beats having a decent jack and an impact gun to zip a tire off/on on the side of the road. It's a significant investment for a tank, (Plus the cost of refills) but the convenience is awesome. They have setups of all different kinds, and varying prices. If you road trip frequently, it's a nice luxury to have. Check 'em out at www.powertank.com

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since most of my trips involve dragging my trailer with either my Supra or my Rockcrawler to some sort of event, I usually have a bunch of tools with me. I've found that rather than a 12V air compressor, my Powertank (just a 10lb bottle of CO2) is a much better source of compressed air. CO2 has a higher expansion rate than regular O2, and a 10lb tank usually lasts me a whole trip and then some. When offloading, I'll use it to inflate my rock crawler tires back to road pressure after deflating for the trail. That's 4, 37" tires from 5psi to 25 psi every day for 3-5 days, and "air to spare" for tools, etc. I use it to adjust tire pressure, rear suspension airbag pressure, and run air tools. NOTHING beats having a decent jack and an impact gun to zip a tire off/on on the side of the road. It's a significant investment for a tank, (Plus the cost of refills) but the convenience is awesome. They have setups of all different kinds, and varying prices. If you road trip frequently, it's a nice luxury to have. Check 'em out at www.powertank.com

I have a small 12v pump that I carry for inflating tires and I have a 12 ton bottle jack to use instead of the one that comes stock. I was looking at this http://www.menards.com/main/p-2257954-c-9072.htm for tire removal. I have used a friends cordless impact at the track a few times and it sure beats doing it by hand.

How much continuous use can the airtank support. I would love to be able to use my air tools.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The power tank works just like a high volume air compressor. The only issue it has is the fittings might freeze up if you use a real high CFM tool like an orbital sander. The power tank ones use a special regulator that isn't as susceptible to freezing as a regular soda dispenser or the like regulator. I've had NOTHING but great success with mine. I know I sound like a salesman for them, but I really think they're a better way to do stuff. Plus you can carry it anywhere you need a compressed air source. Need to dust your computer, take it to the office. Need to air up tires on a dead car sitting in the back of someones yard, drag it out there. I've even used it to reseat tire beads (with the valve stem core removed) it has that much volume!

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All the above are good. Along with those I usually keep a spare mechanical fuel pump on hand (unless you have gone electric, it doesn't say so in your sig). Not fun to change on the side of the road, but better than paying for a tow.

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may have to look into the power tanks. My only question is on the volume of air it can provide and for how long. Look a little pricey for my needs.

On the fuel pump. I have an epump, but I do have an extra relay that I carry with me incase it goes bad. Had that happen once and I had to direct wire the pump to get to the store and purchase another one.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Belts is my thoughts as already posted. When I ran V belts the used belts always ended up under the rear seat. Had to use some of them too because the Alternator belt usually goes flying off taking out plenty. Twice just the vacuum pump belt left me and I did not know till I needed brakes hauling a load of horses to Scottsdale. Was lucky I had plenty of freeway to come to a safe stop. Was able to use trailer brakes to get off the freeway to a parking lot where all was fixed.

SDEconVan

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stating the obvious, but fuses. those little glass ones. I've had two go out and it brought me to a halt, in the middle of nowhere...

...gonna look into that Power Tank, it sounds pretty cool:cool