Pre Lubing a rebuild

Team Dirt

Reaction score
Anyone have any suggestions on pre lubing other than cranking till I have oil pressure.

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pull glowplugs first so you aren't building compression then crank until you get oil pressure. That way you are spinning the engine faster and putting less load onto the bearings.
This is what I do. Pull plugs and then crank until you have pressure and oil visible at each rocker arm. Some people say to use a preluber, but the only time I do that is with flat tappet cams because you don't want any excess rotation to wipe a lobe.

IDI's have roller tappets, so no need to worry about that. So long as the oil pump is primed with oil or lith grease, you'll get pressure quickly.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is how we were taught in automotive skool.Fill a clean bug sprayer with oil. Pressurize it and squirt the oil in through the oil pressure sender hole.

mexicanjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use Lubriplate on my engine rebuilds and on mega horsepower gas compression( think 18” bore X 22” strokex12 cylinders) and have never been disappointed...... ran a worthington engine for 15 minutes, tore one cylinder down to check ring orientation and found lots of lubriplate on the rings!! Good stuff!

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
If you don't know what you're looking at, you may think that it's coolant in the oil sine there's now a nice whiteish color to the oil.

Team Dirt

Reaction score
I use Lubriplate on my engine rebuilds and on mega horsepower gas compression( think 18” bore X 22” strokex12 cylinders) and have never been disappointed...... ran a worthington engine for 15 minutes, tore one cylinder down to check ring orientation and found lots of lubriplate on the rings!! Good stuff!
I work on lots of Waukesha and cat engines for gas compression also on the instrument side of things. We have big pre/post lube for those. I got it lubed up after about 20 cranks. Put my deadweight on it and I have around 7psi at idle. I have yet to get it above 1000rpm but at 1000 I had around 17psi. Seems like it’s all good. Running real smooth but I haven’t put the belts on or the rad yet so no coolant so it’s only been ran for short bits.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online