pre fill oil filter?

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always have on everything I could
Can't fill em up when they're sideways but I'm with you. What do these other guys do? Play in the dirt with the oil filter before they change oil? Or maybe they prefill it with oil collected out of a milling machine? Weird...... scoring bearings? Really?

Isaac Ristow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this thread isn't brand new anymore but I bought a m35a2 (military 6x6 deuce and a half) last week and it has the Hercules multifuel turbo engine in it. They mounted the 2 canister oil filters vertically mounting the filter head at the bottom naturally within a hour or two after **** down these filters drain all the oil back to the crankcase, that being said every cold start is a dry start and you wait 5-10 seconds or so for oil pressure. These trucks run and run. I think I read somewhere they did this to have all the oil in the sump so if you preheated the oil you heated all of it, or if it got cold out and you needed to switch the oil for a thinner weight it would all be in the sump. I'm going to put spin on filter adapters on it and put anti drainback filters on it so every single start isn't dry filters. But it made me think of this post and how people worry about having to fill their filter on a oil change. Just my preference just thought it was strange but interesting that the filters drain every time on the m35a2 and the motors handle dry starts just fine compression is even right with the idi

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Comparing a Hercules to an idi is like comparing apples to oranges.
I'm a diesel tech by trade. I have seen many engines over the years. And I can say many vintages, dry starts show up on the rod bearings as wear, even after 400k miles. But you know what? That's on a signature series ISX 15 liter from 1994. Since then, engines have had check valves put in to prevent said damage, now they're going even further with less bearing wear.

So with that being said, I politely say to take your logic elsewhere. It's specific to a Herculese engine, not our Idi's.