pre fill oil filter?

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
is it possible that vans have different oil filter housing angles and pans? my trucks previous owner loved just ripping parts out from the junkyard regardless of van or truck i know that my trans is from a van

The rear header for the oil cooler is the same as trucks as I recall, but the front is slightly different. The PSD fits my truck though too, so..

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to ad this YT Video about pro`s and con`s of pre filling a filter.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Goat

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
As a side note IIRC our oil pumps….. at RPM put out/pump around 17-18 gal oil per minute……?????
And at RPM our water pumps put out/pump around 70 gallons per minute……????
Help me here, doing this from recall, and it’s not daylight here yet, & only one cup coffee, and it’s still cold, and……. well I….hummm and I hurt……(I heard once that OLD AGE HURTS….and it do!). & my brain not not turned on yet this AM.

So somebody back me up on these numbers or get me corrected! LOL LOL

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don`t ever remember reading on how much they pump per minute. If it`s as much as you mentioned, won`t take long to fill the Filter if empty.

How ever, changed the oil in the 86 yesterday afternoon. And filled the Filter before screwing it on, always done it, probably always will.

On my 2nd cup, trying to get motivation to go out and finish up. Old age ain`t for sissies. ;Poke
Iam 78 be 79 in Jan, whard it all go? and so quickly.

Goat

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yip, 1995 PS Filter, $9.44 at wally World, when they have them.
Think I have 12 left on the shelf. With the supply chain issues, when I see one on the shelf I grab it.

Noticed yesterday the Super Tech 2 gallon 15/40 is now $28.65. Think it was $22 before Brandon showed up.

Goat

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I sometimes prefill them sometimes I don’t I don’t really care, every engine I have ever taken apart is completely covered in oil on every internal mating surface. Sometimes even ones that sit outside rusting for years. Do you really think that oil is gonna drain off your engine that fast? Plus mine sat in a HOLE IN THE GROUND for over ten years because the owner drove the wheels off, I think it’s gonna be fine however I do it with all that residual oil and high volume pumps.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need to start doing that more often.
I had 3 Motorcraft on standby and then bought a case of (12) Donaldson on a deal that someone here posted a while ago. I should be set for life in my condition and the miles I (don't) put on. lol

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to ad this YT Video about pro`s and con`s of pre filling a filter.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Goat
That uhhh, sure seems redundant.....I guess. But what do I know, I run my truck on whatever I find laying around. As far as prefilling your filter, why wouldn't you?

Isaac Ristow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to fill them then heard Caterpillar says not to some filters even have a picture of a X through oil being poured in and it makes sense a chunk of crap from transfer or where the oil came from or who knows can plug a oil passage or score though a bearing. I don't fill heavy truck filters any more change it warm theirs enough residual oil on everything for the engine to idle with no load for a few seconds. I also never change the fuel filter on a diesel at the same time as a oil change because if the system looses prime you could be cranking and cranking and cranking to prime a fuel system regardless if you filled the oil filter or not. I also never fill fuel filters if I have the option for the exact reason and fuel system tolerances are closer than bearings I know some engines especially PT Cummins don't have a good way to prime the filter but they are pretty forgiving. But my idi has a electric pump I run it and open the shrader valve to fill the filter and caterpillar engines have a pump that fills them relatively quickly

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t believe in pre filling IDI filters
I’ve prefilled and not pre filled only thing is it takes 3 seconds for oil pressure vs instant
And also prefilling can be messy
So I have to agree with you