pre fill oil filter?

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
LOL LOL Well we won't have to be wondering & fretting bout oil & filters much longer LOL LOL
Another 3-4-5 yrs our IDI's & everything will be electric motors hooked to an unreal long yellow 10-12 ga extension cords! Ex cords everywhere.....
Then bout another 10 yrs we will be going out to go work or store & just hop on our Magic Carpet & ZIPP....we'll be there!! For real! LOL LOL

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i thought 7.3 power stoke oil filters where supposed to fit on these idis?tried to put one and it didnt clear the oil pan

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most of your engine wear occurs at start up.
Pre~filled filter reduces the amount of time the engine is without oil pressure.
Start it empty and new engine bearing might not rattle too much as thy spin around void of lubrication warm or cold as the filter fills with oil.
A few times of doing this and the engine should start rattling with oil changes and empty filters.
If you desire the engine to last longer, you can pre~fill it. If you don't, then don't.
As for large hole or small holes, I pour from a new jug of oil and don't worry about it.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same here, always prefill. I use the motorcraft 1995 powerstroke filter. When changing oil first thing I do is open that filter box, let filter in box to stabilize it and dump in oil, then start draining oil from eng. While oil is draining periodically add more oil to the filter because the level continually drops as the oil backwards into the element and pushing out air. Usually by the time all of the oil has drained from the pan, the old filter is removed, and one 12 oz can of Pabst has been consumed, the new filter is filled with clean oil and ready for installation.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Yep. I always prefill through the center hole. Wear gloves with some rubber grip to them if you're worried about dropping the filter since they will help you grip the filter better, even if it's oily.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
i thought 7.3 power stoke oil filters where supposed to fit on these idis?tried to put one and it didnt clear the oil pan

It's a tight fit, but they do go on our engines.

Dunno what "tight fit" you're talking about. There's tons of room on my 6.9s. Maybe it's a 4WD issue?

On the RV:

You must be registered for see images attach

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
It's pretty close to the oil pan when you try to start the filter onto the threads.

Hm, dunno. It's never been a problem for me. If anything the pan is helpful, you can lean it against it so you don't drop it.

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
on my 86 6.9 it was mostly hitting what i believe was metal fuel lines and when i got those out of the way and found it just couldnt fit it on i spent about a half an hour messing with it
out of curiosity i looked at my friends 89 7.3 it looked like cubes where it had plenty of room

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
on my 86 6.9 it was mostly hitting what i believe was metal fuel lines and when i got those out of the way and found it just couldnt fit it on i spent about a half an hour messing with it
out of curiosity i looked at my friends 89 7.3 it looked like cubes where it had plenty of room
Those are PS lines, but yes on some trucks like mine (1988 2WD) they stick out and push enough on the oil filter it can be tough to get it threaded on. Also pushes on the filter as it lowers making it harder to get off. I feel your pain my friend.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Those are PS lines, but yes on some trucks like mine (1988 2WD) they stick out and push enough on the oil filter it can be tough to get it threaded on. Also pushes on the filter as it lowers making it harder to get off. I feel your pain my friend.
So very odd. My 87 F250 2WD doesn't have such issues from what I can remember. (Haven't done anything much on it in several years now). I've always run FL1995 filters, I think except for the first oil change, when I used the "proper" one. I don't seem to have a picture of it on the truck, and I'm way across the country from it right now.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Mine does the same thing. It's the fuel line that sticks out farthest on mine.

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is it possible that vans have different oil filter housing angles and pans? my trucks previous owner loved just ripping parts out from the junkyard regardless of van or truck i know that my trans is from a van