Powerstroke Replacement

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I do know that several people have used them. I can't remember their results. That's PLENTY big for our application.

YJMike92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Based on the previous posts it had me wondering. I have a 6.0 cooler on the Powerstroke. Not sure about the IDI.

YJMike92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this is going to be a stretch. Is there anyone out there that has the factory IP wrench?
If so, would you be willing to trace it on a piece of paper and post it on this thread? It would save a lot of trial and error making a wrench. I believe it would be a great help for everybody on this forum.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Some of the pumps have a 3/4" square "nub" on them and you can put an open end wrench on that.

YJMike92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some of the pumps have a 3/4" square "nub" on them and you can put an open end wrench on that.
Yes, I saw the "nub" which is handy. What I was talking about was the 9/16 wrench for the three nuts. I am going to make one, but it would be sweet if I had a template to match up rather then trial and error. I have one sinched down in my vise and the torch standing by. I just haven't had time to mess with it.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I just use a combination open end wrench from Mac tools. One side is like a regular open end, the other is angled differently.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
In fact, for the one underneath the fast idle solenoid, I'll use a flat tip screwdriver to run it in or out. I just use the wrench to tighten or loosen the nut.

YJMike92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I managed that myself removing the pump on the donor truck last night. My good truck I need to set the timing on so I thought it would be a little easier with the correct wrench.

YJMike92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys any thoughts on a compression tester? I'm looking at an ATD 5680 they Sell for around $110.00 Give or take $5.00
I posted the link below. I'm sure it's not the best quality. I have to establish some baseline readings before too much work is performed compression, timing etc.

In answer to my question on the ADP 5680. I did purchase one and it's not too bad. I modified it a little and actually used it today on a 1982 Datsun Pickup with the SD22. I think to use it on our 7.3 and 6.9 engines it would need the same modifications. nothing major a couple of brass fittings and a hose that was originally intended for a grease gun. The original hose with the kit is short with a large 90-degree end. Not good. I added a 24-inch extension and got a couple of different brass fittings straight 45 and 90-degree. The pressure held with no leak down. The screw in adapters seem to be good quality. The gauge could be a little more sturdy, but overall not too shabby..

You must be registered for see images attach

YJMike92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Set the Timing on the truck today. It was set at 3 degrees BTDC. The specification is 8.2 +- 2.0 I set it at 9.3ish. Definitely sounds better. I haven't driven it yet, but I feel like it will be an improvement. The timing meter worked well with the magnetic pickup as well as two different timing light options. If I had known the second option I would not have bought the meter with the timing light. The meter comes with a metal "hoop" to hook a regular timing light to, much like it would be hooked to a spark plug wire. Next project will be checking the injector pressures, leak down and spray pattern.
Does anyone know where to get injector shims?

Alwaysreadyrob

2002 7.3 POWERSTROKE 4x4
Reaction score
Correct, the turbo is clocked about 100*, and the stock intake hat is turned 195*

The only issue I have had with this setup is having the intake pipe blown off the hat at high boost levels since there is no positive clamping. Welding two small strips of 2” bead around the edge of the hat fixed all clamping issues.

Water to air intercooler is a lot like a radiator. Think of it like an radiator inline your intake piping, except instead of the water passing through the radiator exchanging heat to the air flowing through the fins, it is a pulling heat out of the air.

The advantage other than packaging is that water is much better at exchanging heat than air is, so it’s a much more efficient design. The disadvantage other than cost is it’s more complicated to setup. The kit includes a 12x12.5x4.5” water to air intercooler, 3/4” water lines, intake piping with stainless hardware, electric water pump, reservoir and heat exchanger.

Is the inner cooler available without the air set up ?
Im really looking at the R&D air cooler set up.
But what are the options and costs you offer.?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is the inner cooler available without the air set up ?
Im really looking at the R&D air cooler set up.
But what are the options and costs you offer.?
I don’t know if it would work with the R&D kit or now, I have never laid hands on one, but my kit will not work with the stock airbox, it blocks access to the intake hat. I appreciate all the interest in the intercooler kit but it’s not quite ready for selling as a “kit” yet. I’ve installed every intercooler kit myself so far, and I want to change the design a bit so it’s easier for everyone else to install without any issues. Should be ready in a few months

YJMike92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IDItis
I guess that's what you could call buying another parts truck. This one is a Turbo with only 89K original miles (according to the original owner) It looks like I have everything I'll need to transform my driver into a 4X4 except time. I paid way to much but I wanted the turbo engine.