Powerstroke Replacement

YJMike92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been hanging around on the forum for a couple of months now enjoying all the threads and decided to start a thread of my own. I have begun a project that will be a work in progress for a considerable time.
A little background is in order. In 1998 I purchased a 1994.5 Powerstroke F350 4X4 single cab long bed. It's been a great truck but things change and I need a little more room in the cab. Or to put it a different way, my wife is tired of traveling in such cramped quarters. As I see vehicles age and their electronics fail I decided to go back to basics. That is where the project begins. Enter the 1993 7.3L IDI Turbo F350 4x2 extended cab long bed dually. I have already done a fair amount of maintenance and minor upgrades before a recent 3500-mile trip last month which I may list at a later time. The trip allowed me to see if I liked the truck enough to invest the time and money it would take and also where the immediate needs were. The ultimate goal is Power equal to hopefully better than the Powerstroke and converting to a 4X4.
All input would be welcome. The picture was taken the day she arrived in August. The tires have been replaced and wheel simulators have been removed otherwise it looks the same.
You must be registered for see images attach

YJMike92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys any thoughts on a compression tester? I'm looking at an ATD 5680 they Sell for around $110.00 Give or take $5.00
I posted the link below. I'm sure it's not the best quality. I have to establish some baseline readings before too much work is performed compression, timing etc.

https://www.tylertool.com/atd-5680-...SA&utm_term=4581596235128129&utm_content=Cart

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good lookin rig. I would start off with gauges, boost pyro coolant temp at the min. Once you know what those are you can start tweaking the pump to get some more power, and look into intake/exhaust upgrades.

Good looking rig!

YJMike92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put a set of gauges in before My trip so I've got that covered. For the exhaust, I put a Banks downpipe on and cut the exhaust to the back of the muffler. Installed a 3-inch pipe into a Flowmaster Super 44 muffler then welded that to the original 3-inch tailpipe. In hindsight, I wish I had left the muffler off. The exhaust may still need an upgrade after other mods. Ordered the compression tester. We'll see what that looks like. I received my timing unit yesterday. All I need now is time to work on it.

Last edited:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It sounds like you're off to a good start. I think that's a very sharp looking truck too.

YJMike92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pull three different types of trailers on a regular basis 16ft cattle trailer 21ft camping trailer and 24ft Goose Neck flatbed. the flatbed is going to be the challenge. Empty weight nearly 6k. Put a truck on it like this dually and it could be in the 14k range. All that to ask what kind of upgrades power wise would be recommended? I hooked the flatbed to it a week ago just to see how it felt. Very stable on the road but I will definitely need more power. I don't want to be the guy on the shoulder creeping up the steep grade in 2nd gear at 20mph:(

YJMike92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are your egts and boost under load?
The highest I've seen is 1100 degrees at 15lbs of boost. That was a long steep grade in West Virginia. I got off the throttle because I didn't like the EGT's The wastegate was deactivated because the rod had fallen off on the trip so I rigged it to stay shut. So we are capable of decent boost The EGT's are a concern.
Intercooler probably needs to be on the list. I hate to "hack" the truck. I put an intercooler in the Powerstroke. It was a unit from a 6.0 Super Duty with fabricated pipes worked good, but I hated to cut the radiator support area. If I could find a unit that didn't require cutting the truck that would be sweet.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I sell an air to air intercooler kit for your truck but it does require some trimming off the edges of the core support, but not near as much as previous kits, the intercooler fits with the support for the hood latch in place and comes with my intake upgrade to replace the stock box.

Also don’t have to cut out lower header panel suppot just some trimming so your header panel isn’t cracking every time you work on the truck. I’ve got to dig around and see if I can find some pictures of how much has to be removed from the core support.

Your other option is one of my water to air intercooler kits. It requires no modification to the truck but is more complicated and expensive to install.

YJMike92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks Sweet Wes.
The best I can tell your hot side exits on the passenger side with a reclocked turbo? Intake hat custom made? I'm not familiar with a water to air unit. How does that operate?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Correct, the turbo is clocked about 100*, and the stock intake hat is turned 195*

The only issue I have had with this setup is having the intake pipe blown off the hat at high boost levels since there is no positive clamping. Welding two small strips of 2” bead around the edge of the hat fixed all clamping issues.

Water to air intercooler is a lot like a radiator. Think of it like an radiator inline your intake piping, except instead of the water passing through the radiator exchanging heat to the air flowing through the fins, it is a pulling heat out of the air.

The advantage other than packaging is that water is much better at exchanging heat than air is, so it’s a much more efficient design. The disadvantage other than cost is it’s more complicated to setup. The kit includes a 12x12.5x4.5” water to air intercooler, 3/4” water lines, intake piping with stainless hardware, electric water pump, reservoir and heat exchanger.

YJMike92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Water to air intercooler is a lot like a radiator. Think of it like an radiator inline your intake piping, except instead of the water passing through the radiator exchanging heat to the air flowing through the fins, it is a pulling heat out of the air.

The advantage other than packaging is that water is much better at exchanging heat than air is, so it’s a much more efficient design. The disadvantage other than cost is it’s more complicated to setup. The kit includes a 12x12.5x4.5” water to air intercooler, 3/4” water lines, intake piping with stainless hardware, electric water pump, reservoir and heat exchanger.
I've never heard of it before. Of course, there's plenty I've never heard of before. It is a lot more complicated which kind of goes against my goal with this truck.
Maximum performance with minimum complication.

YJMike92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only issue I have had with this setup is having the intake pipe blown off the hat at high boost levels since there is no positive clamping. Welding two small strips of 2” bead around the edge of the hat fixed all clamping issues.
Is the hat custom made or original?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online