Powerstroke Replacement

YJMike92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look what the cat drug in. 1991 f350 7.3 NA cab and chassis. It's a donor rig for my 4x4 conversion. It's not running. The previous owner installed a lift pump, but apparently, something else is wrong. I'd like to get it running before disassembly. I'd like to see what shape the engine and drive train are in. I put a fuel line directly into a can of fuel. I am able to get fuel to pump through the filter but seems to hit a brick wall at the injector pump inlet. I don't know if a bad IP would allow fuel in or not. I have a clear hose in line from the filter housing to the IP so I know no fuel is moving. It appears the fuel cut solenoid is functioning. It clicks when power is applied to it. Any thoughts? I'm not sure how much life is left in the starter. Another concern is he's been using an unknown quantity of either to try and get it to run.

You must be registered for see images attach

natesewell901

Reaction score
Look what the cat drug in. 1991 f350 7.3 NA cab and chassis. It's a donor rig for my 4x4 conversion. It's not running. The previous owner installed a lift pump, but apparently, something else is wrong. I'd like to get it running before disassembly. I'd like to see what shape the engine and drive train are in. I put a fuel line directly into a can of fuel. I am able to get fuel to pump through the filter but seems to hit a brick wall at the injector pump inlet. I don't know if a bad IP would allow fuel in or not. I have a clear hose in line from the filter housing to the IP so I know no fuel is moving. It appears the fuel cut solenoid is functioning. It clicks when power is applied to it. Any thoughts? I'm not sure how much life is left in the starter. Another concern is he's been using an unknown quantity of either to try and get it to run.

How much for visor and ill pay shipping to Memphis

jbm6900

Reaction score
I sell an air to air intercooler kit for your truck but it does require some trimming off the edges of the core support, but not near as much as previous kits, the intercooler fits with the support for the hood latch in place and comes with my intake upgrade to replace the stock box.

Also don’t have to cut out lower header panel suppot just some trimming so your header panel isn’t cracking every time you work on the truck. I’ve got to dig around and see if I can find some pictures of how much has to be removed from the core support.

Your other option is one of my water to air intercooler kits. It requires no modification to the truck but is more complicated and expensive to install.

Interesting..I drive a factory turbo IDI, Turned up the pump & added Banks Sidewinder exh when they were still avail. Good power now. Thought about charge air cooler. I see the window wash had to go & fuel filter relocated in your kit. Big question would be- What would one expect the gains to be with either of your kits, & where does the air filter draw from?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The fuel filter stays where its at for the air to air kit, on the truck pictured above I have my pump and filters on the frame. Window washer stays in place of the coolant overflow jug and mounts onto the fender, The intake filter sets like this, obviously this is a non intercooled truck, but it shows the placement of the intake well and how it retains the cdr ventilation.

The coolant overflow gets replaced by this spun aluminum tank that mounts on the radiator support bracket.

I appreciate the interest in these kits guys, but they are not quite ready to be released to the internet yet. Every kit I have sold I have installed myself, and theres a few changed I want to make to the design so that I am confident anyone can bolt it on and have zero issues, regardless of mechanical aptitude, dont want to rush a good thing, but yall will know as soon as they are ready!

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As far as gains Jeremy nailed the big point, lower egts when working the truck. Another advantage is the denser intake charge from the cooler air. Typically, guys with a 12 psi setup on a factory turbo truck will see 9-10 psi after the intercooler install, and up to 500* egt drops. Since the boost level is dropped along with egts, theres more room to turn the fuel up more, without risking headgaskets. 15 psi intercooled will pull very very well, and makes for a fun truck when unloaded, most cases you will be using all the fuel the stock pump can put out at that level.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as gains Jeremy nailed the big point, lower egts when working the truck. Another advantage is the denser intake charge from the cooler air. Typically, guys with a 12 psi setup on a factory turbo truck will see 9-10 psi after the intercooler install, and up to 500* egt drops. Since the boost level is dropped along with egts, theres more room to turn the fuel up more, without risking headgaskets. 15 psi intercooled will pull very very well, and makes for a fun truck when unloaded, most cases you will be using all the fuel the stock pump can put out at that level.

I built my own setup, but it's exactly as Wes says. PSI drops a bit, but POWER is up for sure. And any more low end torque with the cooler air charge. Turbo "lag" is not a byproduct of the charge air cooler in my case at least. Same PSI down low, and yet with more power, less smoke.
Then I used Wes's trick of sealing the crossover and up-pipes with copper RTV and the whole game changed-- even unloaded I easily snap up to 12 psi at 2500rpms and it stays there because the waste gate blows open, plus I'm out of fuel on the stock pump maxed out.

But 12psi with the CAC is much stronger than 12psi without. I also tow a 4500lb trailer most of the time and towing is way better.

Get the charge air cooler! (For anyone that was on the fence, lol)

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
We usually don't have much, if any, turbo lag on our trucks with an intercooler. I suppose if someone had an extremely large intercooler or tried to use something the size of sewer pipe to plumb the intercooler, then you'd see turbo lag. Our turbos generally move a small volume of air when compared to what modern diesels will do. If you increase the volume of your whole intercooler system (cooler and piping) then it will take that much longer to move our small amount of air through the system, thus increasing turbo lag.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just to add, a poor designed intercooler will introduce lag where the same sized intercooler that’s a good American made unit will not.

YJMike92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what I will do about an intercooler yet, do you all think a cooler and piping from a 7.3 Super Duty will be too much? of course, it will need to be modified. I'm talking about air volume.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online