Power?

chrisgrant91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 93 f-250 4x4. it has a 7.3 non turbo 5 speed with what seems to be highway gears and it just doesnt have the power i expected. maybe my hopes were too high for a non turbo diesel. it has about 170k on it. hooked up to my car trailer with a car 60 is about all you can get hammerd and 55 nicely. i have a 72 dodge power wagon with a built 360 and it will pull circles around this truck. i must say i was a little disapointed. i average about 13 mpg with this truck. i have the pump turned up and it smokes like a train :) and i cut the bowl out of the air cleaner and all the little mods so to say. straight piped exhaust. i was thinking maybe a bigger exhaust then stock. it runs like a champ. i dont know. was i expecting to much?

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
turbo makes a huge differance but until then how is the timing? that can play with your lost power just as much. these pumps wear on the retarded side and loose power over time. when i first got my truck it would bearly hold the speed limit going up some good hills on the highway. after i got it timed it was a differant truck.

timing should also be set with a meter, it is hard to get it right by ear even with an experianced person doing it.

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hope you have a pyro in that rig. That's going to be a high EGT combination you have there.

pafixitman

Reaction score
I am more of the old school idi owners. (Dang, can I say that? Did I say that?) Ball busting power is not why I bought the truck, is not why I still own the truck, and not why I love my truck. Some members here will tell you I run on the conservative side. I have dropped a valve and blew a push rod thru the rocker cover while on vacation with the family and 5'r. I have driven 500+ miles on 7 cylinders. That is why I own and still own my truck!

Granted I have added a turbo, turned the pump up a bit but I am very realistic in what my truck does. You want mind blowing numbers? Get a Cummins. Realiablity, low cost of ownership and the satisfaction of knowing you can fix anything with hand tools? Keep the idi.

Timing and a turbo will make it a new truck. I get 11.5 towing, 15+ empty. I run about 70mph empty, 65 towing. Pretty much been my standard since I got the truck.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have 235K on my truck, pretty much stock normally aspirated 7.3 (soup bowl cut out) and I've pulled my race car from Seattle to Portland (pretty flat) at 60-65 without too much effort. You should get a sweet spot where the engine likes to pull at about 1800-2000 rpm.

No doubt a turbo will help, but I'm +1 on your timing being off.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have dropped a valve and blew a push rod thru the rocker cover while on vacation with the family and 5'r. I have driven 500+ miles on 7 cylinders. That is why I own and still own my truck!QUOTE]

I've gimped some stuff home, but not with the wife, kids and a 5th wheel.

You are my hero :hail !

tractorman86

Reaction score
I have dropped a valve and blew a push rod thru the rocker cover while on vacation with the family and 5'r. I have driven 500+ miles on 7 cylinders. That is why I own and still own my truck!

LOL i remember looking at the pics that was nasty!!!:hail :hail
69dieselfreak, wou don't happen to have a timing meter do you?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Aside from the timing, how old are the injection pump and injectors on that thing?, they may be due for replacement

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
LOL i remember looking at the pics that was nasty!!!:hail :hail
69dieselfreak, wou don't happen to have a timing meter do you?

my snap-off tool guy has and mt 1480 for me but he aint got the lummy probe or the other thing
why whats up
and he want my left nut for the thing so im still looking

tractorman86

Reaction score
unich! :rotflmao :rotflmao i know my timing is quite a way off, and need to get it set, it is killing me on fuel. but so is not finishing the turbo

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger