Power window stuck down

RSchanz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Passenger side power window is stuck down. The switch on the drivers side doesn’t get her going either. I hear a click when I flip the switch up and down on both sides but don’t get any response. I have the panel off right now since I’m replacing the seals and I tried assisting the Window with my hand but nothing helps. Of course it’s stuck down... no rain in the forecast :mad:

If I hear a click I’m guessing electric is getting to it but maybe the motor fried?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
If all else fails, you can remove the motor and raise the window by hand. You can find something like a piece of lumber to hold the window up in place. If you're lucky and have some help, you may even be able to put the motor back in place to hold the window up. WARNING: the window will fall back down as soon as you let go of it while you're doing this so be careful!

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I forgot to mention that this will give you time to figure out the issue while keeping the rain out.

RSchanz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha that’s a great tip. When I turned the engine on the window went up. Coincidence?

I would keep trying except the key has been tending to get stuck in “on” so I’m going to take the steering wheel off and deal with that tomorrow

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haha that’s a great tip. When I turned the engine on the window went up. Coincidence?

I would keep trying except the key has been tending to get stuck in “on” so I’m going to take the steering wheel off and deal with that tomorrow

Could very well be a bad connection, and the vibrations from the engine starting jiggled it just enough to make a connection.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll have to drill through the door in one spot IIRC to get to one of 3 bolts holding the motor in, but otherwise it's pretty straightforward.

New motors are pretty cheap, too. You can also before doing anything unplug the motor and out 12v to it and see if it runs. Then switch polarity and it should run backwards. If it works every time the motor isn't the issue.

tradergem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless someone has replaced the window motors, the brushes in the motors are probably worn out. I had to replace my passenger side window motor because the brushes were worn out.

RSchanz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll have to drill through the door in one spot IIRC to get to one of 3 bolts holding the motor in, but otherwise it's pretty straightforward.

New motors are pretty cheap, too. You can also before doing anything unplug the motor and out 12v to it and see if it runs. Then switch polarity and it should run backwards. If it works every time the motor isn't the issue.

Fairly new to some of this. How would I go about putting 12v to it?

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fairly new to some of this. How would I go about putting 12v to it?
When you unplug it, there will be only two spades in the connector. (Make sure you are holding the connector and wires that run to the motor, and not to the switch.)

Run wires from the battery, to the door. (Loose. Outside the truck. I'm not talking "running" all new wiring here.)

Touch either positive or negative to one spade, and the other wire to the other spade.

If it runs, remove the wires and reverse them. If it runs backwards from the first time, the motor works...

Note: For this kind of testing, I found a long time ago, that an old cheap extension cord works well. Even the 'zip' kind. (Or 'zip' type speaker wire, for that matter.) Cut off both ends. Pull it apart a bit at both ends. Strip the ends. One side usually has 'ridges' run along the length of it. The other side would be smooth. Makes it easier to tell which is which when you get to your testing.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
When you unplug it, there will be only two spades in the connector. (Make sure you are holding the connector and wires that run to the motor, and not to the switch.)

Run wires from the battery, to the door. (Loose. Outside the truck. I'm not talking "running" all new wiring here.)

Touch either positive or negative to one spade, and the other wire to the other spade.

If it runs, remove the wires and reverse them. If it runs backwards from the first time, the motor works...

Note: For this kind of testing, I found a long time ago, that an old cheap extension cord works well. Even the 'zip' kind. (Or 'zip' type speaker wire, for that matter.) Cut off both ends. Pull it apart a bit at both ends. Strip the ends. One side usually has 'ridges' run along the length of it. The other side would be smooth. Makes it easier to tell which is which when you get to your testing.
Just for quick connect and disconnect, when I do this, I'll usually use a pair of Vise Grips to hold each wire onto the battery post.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score

RSchanz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. I'm going to start a separate thread for the key getting stuck issue because I had to start working on that before I could start with the window.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Staff online