power steering pump alignment

Duke57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replaced my power steering pump on my 92 F350 but pulley not aligned. I need to choose washers to align pump to pump bracket. Any others out there ever have this problem? Did a search on forums for 'power steering alignment', but no results. So I started thread with a title that would help others with same problem if they did a search.

Mike

FoolhardyIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please post a picture of the pulley and the shaft in the center of the pulley.

Duke57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All right, will do tomorrow and have a straight edge against ps pump pulley to show alignment angle in relation to crank and water pump pulley.

Mike

Duke57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The belts I have are single belts also. I have pressed pulley back onto shaft showing 1/32" of shaft. Have already added one washer to straighten alignment but will pick up more washers with varying thicknesses to customize alignment. Will add pics tomorrow. A pic is worth a thousand words. Also, at mercy of pump rebuilders, whatever country they are in.

Mike

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, at mercy of pump rebuilders, whatever country they are in.

Very true lol!

That being said. Unless they used the WRONG parts, I don't see how it could be put together in a manner that would affect pulley offset. I've had a couple of these apart. They're actually pretty simple internally.

Duke57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree. I took pump off 2 weeks ago but did so in extreme heat, which affected long and short term memory, not to mention my mental faculties. So do not even remember taking it off truck.
Only memory I had was the amount of dirt mixed with ps fluid everywhere.
Didn't mean to be so literary. Cannot remember if old pump/pulley was originally aligned.
Assuming this was original as there was extra return port capped from hydroboost option.
Reason I replaced was bottom plastic return port was missing 3/4" of nipple.
The return port had maybe a 6" piece of hose connected to factory cooler attached to front crossmember.
Not optimal design I thought as pump will vibrate and move with engine with only 6" of return hose to absorb this vibration and flex between cooler attached to crossmember which does not flex nor vibrate, at least in unison with engine and attached components.

Mike

Last edited:

FoolhardyIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is how my power steering pump pulley lines up with the water pump pulley. Hope it helps some.

You must be registered for see images attach

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doesn't look like the right pulley? Pretty sure on mine the nub the puller goes on is recessed more compared to the face of yours?

Duke57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great photos. Looks like there is a slight offset in the last photo of the ps pulley also. Maybe I am splitting hairs with this alignment issue. I bought an assortment of grade 8 washers to get my alignment as straight as possible. Will post some pics when I get done. Have to go out of town for a few days, will get this done Sunday. If we went to the moon in 1969, I know I can achieve near perfect alignment.

Mike