Power steering problem - right side out, left side working

abacuschicken

Reaction score
Hi truck nerds :)!

Been driving this beloved old Ford now for about 6 months. I have done some minor defferred maintenance and have a list of to-do item that I need to prioritze. Most immediate is the power steering recently acting up. I was told that there is a minor leak (can't remember where but . I had the fluid topped off on last oil change a few weeks ago. I recently moved to a remote area on hwy 1 in CA...VERY curvey and rough roads. My power steering recently went out when turning to the right but works fine to the left. Hoping this isn't a massively expensive fix :/. Any insight would be appreciated

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changing the steering box can be a job. Just trying to prepare you for the worst. The pitman arm on the bottom of the box can really be stuck. They make a special puller at the store you can rent. And then the fittings for the lines in the box can be stuck, and get rounded off. Much like stuck and rusted brake lines, but on a bigger scale.

While you are in the area of the steering box, clean it up and check for frame cracks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JFMac

Members online