Power steering one way?

burt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went to move a trailer around with my dads f250 and found it only has power steering in one direction. It's like pinky steering one way and no help at all the other. I asked him *** since he babies this truck to no end. He said his mech couldn't figure it out. Can't be that hard to figure out right? I would just think new power steering pump. Anybody have some insight on this problem? In my area there is a lot of these trucks on the road so parts are almost always in stock at the usual outlets and jy but I thought the specific symptoms might mean something specific. Thanks

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bad/tight steering one way, good another ....does not indicate a pump issue. The pump is supplying pressure to make it easy one way, thus I'd start considering the box or bad suspension parts.

You neglected to mention what truck this is on f250 what? 2wd 4wd and what year?

This info is important to assist you.

I'd suggest jacking up both front wheels, blocking the truck up safely and see if that allows it to work correctly for starters.

MORE INFO for better diagnosis.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
get a reman steering gear, valving in the box is broken. mine did this exact thing 2 years ago.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sounds like these guys have the issue. Might look into the box made be a place in washington called Red Box. Seems they have the best box available too. but a cheap jy box will work just as the oem box did too.

burt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, thanks guys. It's a 4wd f250 and it's a 1990 zf 5. Guess I assumed the problem wasn't in the ttb so didn't think to add that info. Sounds like we have the most likely culprit.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
80 to 97 E, F and ranger all use the same box.
I just saw one at a local yard that was pretty new. Might be an option. The napa one I got is working fine so far. the uhaul one on Dans truck blew a seal, second one was fine.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Red Head steering is top shelf stuff but a Premium $$$ spent to get it.

autowrecker is way to go on cheap....but could do same thing..

I had thought was internal in box but again I have seen issues where will turn one way not other and it's in knuckles etc.

JM2CW

Good luck either way ya go.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pump is fine if it works one way ok. The problem is in the valving in the gear box

burt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody know how much for a red head? local napa has a rebuild for $150. Anyone heard anything bad about napas gear boxes?

RocketScott

Reaction score
I rebuilt the one in my F150 when the bottom seal started leaking. The rebuild kit was like $30 I think and included all the seals. It's not hard to do, just make sure you don't loose your balls when you open it up.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They do here. A-Zone has ATSCO. Has to be better than A1's garbage.

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
Dont want to hijack but I just realized how easily I could steer a d44 ttb 4wd truck with one finger.. you know that old big american steeri g.. my dana 60 trucks steer like **** and when I need to turn fast I can feel the pump bog down.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk