Power steering issues '90 W250

nooblet

Reaction score
Since this is my first post on this board I'll shortly introduce my self...My name is Chris, I'm 22 and in a local college here in Corpus Christi, TX. I'm into rockcrawling with my '79 IH Scout and use my CTD "mainly" as a daily driver and tow rig. Its a '90 Cummins W250 5-speed Getrag 310k miles, 2" body lift 35" BFG mud-terrains, with lock-rites front and rear. I have about 2 turns on the fuel screw and have the anaroid cranked all the way up; its also straight piped.

Picture...

You must be registered for see images attach

Ok ...onto the problem.

I have intermittent power steering, I would say it works about 10-20% of the time on and off during driving. The power steering works much better when turning to the driver side (left) than when turning to the passenger side (right). When the power steering kicks in the pump makes a lot of noise, when the power steering does not work the pump makes no noise.

Things I have done to try to fix the problem:
I replaced the power steering pump first and this did not help at all. After the pump I replaced both power steering lines (I thought maybe the return line was sucking in air, or the high pressure line was clogged). I also took off the steering stabilizer to see if it was bent, and it was not. The steering box is not leaking. When I fill the pump up completely with fluid, the power steering works almost like it should (but with the pump screaming), but the fluid overflows out of the filler neck in a short period of time and goes back to normal. I also replaced the cap on the power steering pump.

When my truck is at rest (not moving and not turning the wheel) the power steering pump is trying to pump fluid. I turned the truck on and took the cap off the pump and peeked inside to see the pump pumping away. Once I turn the truck off the fluid has a lot of air bubbles in it. I think air is getting into the pump some how, what I can't figure out is how. Its been suggested that since the pump is pressed onto the vacuum pump housing that possibly one or both of the vacuum pumps is leaking air back into the housing and pressurizing the front of the pump, forcing air into the pump. I don't know if this is even possible, as it seems kinda far fetched to me, but at this point I'm at a loss. I tried to find the vacuum pump housing at a parts store and they only carry one of the vacuum pumps, not the housing. I also looked for any vacuum pump seals they might sell, with no luck.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Cowboy_Customs

Rhinestone Cowboy
Reaction score
Very interesting, my pump leaks a little bit, then I got tired of it n filled it with lucas power steering stop leak. I stopped leaking alright :eek: its like 200 WT gear oil but it did good all winter long, not a moan or groan, BUT if I didnt let the truck for about 5 minutes after the days initial start up I had no power steering like u r explaining, then all of a sudden b4 i got out of my driveway, it was like someone turned on a switch somewhere.

With you already replacing the the power steering pump, and still having this issue, I am uncertain. Perhaps u have an issue with the power steering gear box on the frame.
Welcome to Oilburners BTW!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online