Power steering box seal at Pittman arm blown

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The issue:
Power steering box lower seal at the Pittman arm is raining power steering fluid. Blew out about 1 qt. of fluid per 3 miles , so it's a bad leak.

Truck:
92 F 450 Superduty with Hydroboost brakes. So when power steering fluid and pressure is lost, I lost steering AND brakes. [It was a long hard trip back home across town in rush hour traffic, trust me].

Question:
The trucks has no driving issues with the box before the seal blew, I don't really want to put in a "rebuilt steering box" if I can avoid it. Anyone here ever just replace the Pittman arm shaft seal /seals? Without removing the gearbox? [Key for me.. The truck is scheduled heavy and I need to get back on the road ASAP.
If so.. how and what tips can you give. Please :hail :hail

I did find and buy a full seal kit from Carquest for $20. It looks complete, so Think I'm covered on parts.

Thanks for any tips or help.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my opinion you could probably throw another box on it quicker than doing a seal if you have a spare pitman arm. Those can be a ****** sometimes.

2 lines, 3 bolts, the pitman arm, stealing shaft then bleed the system.

Usually if you had a seal blow out then the arm itself probably has a groove in it also

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My concern is if seal blew, is it due to bearings being loose/worn and taking seal out from shaft walking about?

Get a box man and install it.

Redhead steering gear...great stuff.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online