Power lag out of the hole!

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I purchased a 94.5 powerstroke, and am pretty impressed with the thing overall! It does not compare to the power my old goats had or even hold much of a candle to my 99 PSD, but for an old ranch truck its been pretty handy! Only grip I have is the low rpm power! Have to clutch the thing like an old CR125 when tanking off with a trailer! I replaced crushed down pipe with 3" and have a ram air intake! No other mods that I know of! So that said, anyone know how to improve this issue! Thanks guys! (Lower Gears):dunno

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take a look at the compressor wheel inside the turbo.94.5-97 were notorious for sucking dirt through the air ckeaner lid and for the orange boot ripping.

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just had turbo off to re-oring and it seems solid! In fact after installing 3" down pipe, it really spools up nice under load! Everything seems ok mechanically, I think they just kinda came factory doggy on the bottom! Just wondering if anyone has come up with a mod solution! Chip?

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That truck also has the s-42 zf with the tall 1st gear. If your transmission ever goes, consider replacing it with a later s-47 or just replace first gear. First gear is the thing I like least about my 94.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Search for the 10k mod.itll cost you a buck at radioshack,you wont be disappointed

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have tried to research this 10k mod and have found a lot of claims both good and bad! Had not paid much attention to the dates on the threads i researched, so not sure how current they were! Im sure this is old technology and tunes are the way to go, but I'm not looking to gain a whole lot horsepower wise, just would like more throttle response! I actually purchased a 10k resistor today and just want a little piece of mind that this procedure is not going to cause a catastrophic meltdown!!!!! How many have done this on OBS, and what were the results?

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have not done it myself, but from what I have researched it is better to do a tuner. It will give you more power and better fuel economy along with different settings for what you are needing. You don't have to get them with a custom tune on it. You can buy the standard tuner and use the pre-programmed tunes on it. They cost more up front but in the long run they seem to pay off. I was going to do the 10k mod myself but like I said after some research most people said it is pointless if you decided to use a tuner. The benefits from a tuner are greater than the 10k mod. It is really up to you.

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tried 10k mod! figured what the heck, ill try it! At first I didn't think it changed a thing, but upon driving some it seems to have more pep in the mid range, and did take some of the turbo lag out! When hauling 8 round bales the other day i noticed a difference when pulling hills! Not a huge change but some subtle improvements no doubt. What I am experiencing now is that it has begun to start hard since the mod was done! I suppose I had to do the mod to appease my stubborn curiosity, but will save for some tunes, so its not just hacked together, as obviously there are some repercussions. Thanks for all the suggestions and for mentioning the mod, as it caused me to do some research. Going to undo the 10k to see if the hard starts improve or if its just coincidence! Im not entirely convinced that the lift pump is not starting to fail, as the power curves seem to fluctuate on this thing, and I have a small fuel leak I'm not sure isn't the weap hole. Can a pump weaken or does it just fail?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Though I'm currently having problems with mine, which I'm sure they'll take care of. I'd recommend the hydra from power hungry performance. The difference was very surprising. Especially how everyone talks about these having the smaller injectors.
I could almost bet the resistor mod is causing the hard starts. I played with it on mine. I believe that's what caused my ICP sensor to go bad.
Fuel leak could be: filter restriction sensor (very common), fuel bowl itself (fairly common), filter drain valve (common), the fuel hoses between the pump and filter, the pump itself, the olives at the back of the head where the lines go in, or the return lines coming from the front of the heads to the fuel pressure regulator.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online