Pley-as Halp!

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so my truck has developed an issue.

without warning the truck has started smoking excessively and the EGT's are trough the roof. The truck is extremely bogged down and sluggush. Where i used to cruise at 70mph at 650-700egt not i can barely manage 55 without a hill and my egts are flirting with 1200.
It first felt to me like i had something clogging the intake, but that wasn't it. so my current thought is that i have an injector stuck open. Apparently on the side where my pryro is located.

anyone agree. . disagreee? know a way to test injectors in the truck? Have other ideas of what it could be?

thanks

p.s. bonus cool point to the folks who know why i said please help like that :D

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK no fair earning the bonus points without addressing the actual issue lol

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
any missing or smoking at idle also? do you have a temp gun to narrow down which port is hotter or cooler?

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does sound like it's missing at idle, and definitly hazing even when hot (which is new) don't have a temp gun, but that's a solid idea.

Dieselcrawler

Staff member
Reaction score
if you can hear a miss, start cracking injector lines as it is running. this will "kill" that cyl. if the engine changes sound, move to the next injector. when the engine doesnt change, thats the cyl u have bad.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK no fair earning the bonus points without addressing the actual issue lol

wheres my point??????

anyways.obviously you got an injector/s dumping too much fuel.is it smokin at idle?got a new knocky noise it didnt have before?got a skip to it?crack injector lines one at a time.its like pulling a plug wire off a gasser.if it has a new knock to it,it should go away when you crack the line to that injector.the smoke should clear up,but it may not.and if it has a skip the injector that doesnt change the idle is the problem.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could a bad CDR cause this? Assuming his EGT probe is located right off of cyl. #7 or 8?

Dieselcrawler

Staff member
Reaction score
it could but only if his air cleaner was cloged and it was sucking lots threw the cdr.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
Certainly sounds like it could be a slobbering injector.

Better park that thing until it's resolved or else you might Chernobyl (or Fukishima) a piston...

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My bet is your advance piston in your IP has become impaired or is not functioning at all. One slobbering injector would give you a heck of a knock or a ping, and yes power and what not would suffer accordiingly, but what your describing sounds to me like a total failure of the entire fuel system to deliver fuel correctly. Feel your injector lines, and if you find one that is hotter than the rest that could be an injector with a pintle that is stuck open. That can fowl things up pretty good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight

Members online